Babies: 3 - 6 Months

XP: Treating reflux without meds

My LO was diagnosed with silent reflux and the pedi said he only puts LOs on meds if they are extremely irritable. My DS is a happy boy, most of the time! I really don't want to put him on meds if I don't have to. I've tried some things-rice/oatmeal in his bottles, lowering the end of the crib mattress. Anything else you've done that works? Any natural remedies you use?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Treating reflux without meds

• I'm treating DD with meds.  She doesn't scream or cry, but she is uncomfortable and projectile vomits when not controlled on meds.  I am really not a holistic person, but I just ordered a hazelwood necklace which they wear when awake and supervised.  It is supposed to draw out the acidity in the body and help reflux.  DD's reflux is severe so I'm willing to try just about anything to keep her comfortable.

Other things I do is elevate her bassinet, keep her elevated at all times (swing, car seat, Boppy) unless she is doing tummy time.  We feed in an upright position and burp her really well.  She is getting a little worse right now.  My pedi said that at 5-7 months when they start sitting up their big bellies push up on their stomach and it pushes all the acid into their esophagus.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • We have not tried it yet, but my chiropractor said that chiropractic adjustments can often help babies with reflux. You would want to use a chiropractic who specialized in pediatric care though. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We have DS sleep either in the swing, RnP, or with us and that helps.  We were also told to keep him upright after eating for up to 30 min., do not lay down immediately after eating or in a carseat.  He was also on Zantac since he would cry while eating and after.  That made a huge difference.  He's a lot better now so we were able to wean him off about a month ago.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We see a homeopathic nutritionist.  We give LO digestive enzymes and probiotics.  I bf and carefully watch what I eat (and don't eat dairy or soy because of LO's intolerance).  So far we have been able to manage without the meds and I hope to continue because I really don't want to turn off or "inhibit" his proton pump (Zantac) or otherwise inhibit his normal body functions with other meds.  Not a med hater (we did have to go there with DS2 for awhile), just want to do everything I can naturally first.  

Oh, and we do do chiropractic... mostly LO just gets his hiatal (sp?) hernia (very common with babies with digestive issues or spitting) taken care of by gently pushing everything back in to place.  And LO sleeps in RNP.

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"