High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Amnio Experience

Based on a large measurement at an NT scan yesterday, one of my doctors offered an amniocentesis. I had a CVS in my previous pregnancy for the same concern but it was booked the next day so there wasn't time to worry. This time though I have two more weeks until the procedure and I am feeling anxiety and dread leading up to it.

I would love to hear from anyone with amnio experience as to what helped them prepare, any encouraging words they got from friends or their medical team. My docs are just baffled that my first kiddo had a large NT measurement and CVS revealed no abnormalities and that I would have a large NT measurement for this pregnancy too. I am feeling pretty isolated and would feel better hearing from others that experienced the amnio part to help me prepare.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Amnio Experience

• Options

I don't have any words of wisdom. The only thing they really said was that I should relax as much as possible (which at the time, seemed impossible). The waiting was the worst part for me even though I had it done that same day. The actual procedure was done fairly quickly. I felt nauseous afterwards (probably a combination of the anxiety about the whole thing and the lack of food since I had been there for a few hours for this whole process). I had no complications and was able to go to work the following day. I was a little nervous watching to make sure I was leaking after the procedure and the doctor said to take it easy that day. They said there might be some cramping but I had none.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just had an amnio last week. First one and hopefully the last. I had my ultrasound then was offered the amnio immediately following so I didn't have time to prepare. I was very nervous and shaking, but if you have an experienced doctor that will help. My techs were great and really helped me feel better about the procedure. My mom was with me, as my husband is not around right now. She held my hand and comforted me. It was very uncomfortable and I did have some cramping after but no other problems. Best of luck. Our results came back normal on all levels. I am praying for the same results for you and your lo
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Pit - Thanks for the kind words. Leaking is probably one of the things I am worried about most. Just relax, right? Ack! 

Squire - The doc is the one who did my CVS, so that is reassuring. It means a lot to be in your prayers. I really appreciate it.

Kitchen -  Thank you for sharing your experience and your wishes for a peaceful two weeks. Definitely building new muscles in patience.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"