Baby Showers
Options

want to help

My wonderful friend has offered to host a shower for me. It will be in my home town about an hour away from where DH and I live. We live in the town that DH grew up in and his whole family lives here. No one from his family has offered to host and that is fine not a big deal.

I spoke with my friend and she said that it was not a big deal to include members of his family. I feel that I need to include them to keep the peace with MIL (she hosted a bridal shower that was a total diseaster).  I really dont think that many will make the hour trip to the shower. However I feel that I should help with the cost that his side of the family may incure.

Re: want to help

• Options
    This is kind of silly...but you could rent a van! For my bridal shower, we had a very similar situation, so we just rented a giant van (20-seater or something) and took everyone there. It was also kind of fun because we all got to have some informal fun time before the real festivities began.
  • Options

Ditto theresat858 - how many people are you talking? And while you're friend says 'it's no big deal', yhou need to make sure she can fit more people.

An hour is NOT that far. I wouldn't assume people won't drive.

If his family is big, then maybe inviting them isn't going to work.  I dont' see how it's  "keeping the peace" w/ your MIL anyhow.  YOu're friend offered to throw a shower- that doesn't mean she has to throw a large shower.  If your MIL wants a shower for her side, she can throw one.  Disaster or not.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options

a) an hour trip is really not a big deal, unless you don't have a car/can't drive

b) guests may choose to attend, or choose to decline the invitation.  You're not on the hook to pay for anyone's babysitter for their kids, their transportation to the shower, etc.

• Options

I would invite only your DH's closest family members (meaning no aunts or cousins).  That should cut the list down by several.  Make sure you give the number to your hostess to be sure she can accommodate that many.  As far as keeping the peace with your MIL...she is the only one that really HAS to be invited.  Normally sistes and sister-in-laws are as well...but they don't have to be.  If you MIL wants aunts, cousins, and long time family friends invited then she should have hosted one for their side. 

I'm not sure what you mean about paying for "the cost that his side of the family may incure".  What do you mean?  The cost of driving an hour to a shower?  Babysitters?  If that is the case...then hellz no...you do not pay for any of that.  If it is to help out the HOSTESS with some of the additional cost...I wouldn't unless it is over 6-7 people that you want to include...then ask her. 

BTW...driving an hour to the shower is nothing!  lol  People around here drive that to and from work EVERYDAY!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"