Baby Showers
Options

Hostess gifts (more input needed please)

I know others have posted re this question but my situation is slightly different.

None of my hostesses are flying. All driving.

One dear friend is doing all the coordinating and planning for a 55 person shower, is doing most of the cooking, and has been the Super Star.

Financially- My Mom has put up most of the $; Dad and StepMom put up the next chunk, and then a couple of other friends contributed some money.

I want to thank everyone appropriately and truly never have a good sense as to what is appropriate. Time is ticking. Shower is this Saturday and it's now Wednesday morning. Most do not drink or enjoy lotions. I'm at a loss.

Your ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hostess gifts (more input needed please)

• Options
    I would get the ladies bracelettes from alex and ani or pandora.  Maybe a charm with a baby foot print
  • Options

You could bake them something.  Do you read Southern Living? They have a gorgeous gift idea (cornbread madeleines) and how to wrap them up beautifully.  They seem incredibly easy to make and would make a nice presentation.  If you're really at a loss and in a time crunch, make some pretty flower arrangments in a neat vase.

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What do they like to do?

I have two hostess's that love to cook/bake. I made them each a really cute apron to match their kitchens.

For family, I guess I'd just write a thankyou card. But it would be tough to get anyone to accept a hostess gift in my family.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ccamccam member

For my bridal showers, I sent my Mom and MIL really nice flower arrangements and a thoughtful thank you card.  They weren't expecting anything and loved getting the flowers. 

For your friend, I like the Pandora idea.  Or maybe a pedi/mani gift certificate - those are always appreciated. 

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend...

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options

My showers were a long time ago and what was popular then is not popular now.  I have hosted a lot of showers and this is what I have received:  my fav cologne, gift card for manicure, bottle of wine, gift cards to restaurants and bookshop, scrapbooking supplies (I scrapbook somewhat), lunch out with the MTB, dinner at the home of MTB and FTB, and a nice card.  Quite frankly, I'm happy if I just get a sincere thank you.

PS:  I love the baked goods idea.  I actually saw (maybe at Michaels or a kitchen/bake supplies shop) a container that holds cake pops.  It was like a little stage...but completely enclosed.  Cute.

• Options

I would get something nice for your friend. It doesn't have to be an expensive gift like jewelry. Get her something she would appreciate for herself. Does she have a favorite coffee or tea? Pick up her favorite, a new mug, bake some muffins to go with, and put it all in a nice box or basket.

Get something nice for your mom and dad/step-mom too. Again, think of what they'd appreciate.

For the friends that contributed smaller amounts of money but didn't really do the leg work, a small gift card should be fine. Starbucks (or whatever you have in your area), movie theater, area restaurant, etc.

• Options
    I love the cute apron idea if they're into baking. I am already decided on a wine basket for my SIL who is hosting mine. A bottle of wine, some charms, a cute stopper, etc... She's really into wine so it's perfect if you have someone like that.
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • Options
    For my bridal shower (held in April and weather starting to get nice), I got my hostessess nice potted plants for their patios.  I plan on doing the same for the baby shower as it's also in April, but different hostesess.
  • Options
    I'm assuming the friend who is doing the cooking like to cook in general, so a food/cooking-themed gift. Homemade chocolate truffles in a nice box; some unusual bakeware (example of unusual: not something like a loaf pan, but one of those little blackbirds you put into a pie to let the steam out and keep the base crisp, that kind of thing); one of those make-your-own-recipe-book things; maybe a subscription to a foodie magazine; a nice plate she can present appetizers on; or, unless she's one of the friends who doesn't like drinking, a nice bottle of wine.

The one who is co-ordinating/planning... Hmmm. Tricky. Maybe a voucher to a jewellery store where she can personalise her own jewellery (a store that sells charm bracelets, for example). Maybe something for her home: a vase; a picture, if you know her tastes pretty well; a frame. Or something like a pretty little compact mirror.

As for your family members, I can't help there, I'm afraid. I'm guessing you're asking because traditional 'mom' gifts like lotions and potions and frames with "I love you Mommy" are out, in which case I sympathise because my mother is the same. All I can advise you to do is think long and hard about their tastes, or something they really want. Pounce on opportunities. Last year, a few weeks before mothers day, our cat broke my mother's favourite vase, one that she'd had for nearly thirty years. I found almost an exact replica and she was thrilled. I'm assuming you don't have a 16lb furry wrecking ball, but that's what I mean by opportunites.

Oh, and be sure to give them all a very personal thank you card. That will probably mean more to them at the end of the day than a gift. Good luck! :)

• Options

imagecltk12:
    For my bridal shower (held in April and weather starting to get nice), I got my hostessess nice potted plants for their patios.  I plan on doing the same for the baby shower as it's also in April, but different hostesess.

Love this idea!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maybe look at traditional bridesmaids' gifts for inspiration. I always think that bridesmaids and baby shower hosts are sort of similar, in that they're both helping you out with a special day. (I'm not saying weddings are the same as baby showers... *prepares the fire extinguisher* )
  • Options
    Thanks all! Lots of good ideas!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"