Food Allergy
Options

BF'ing- doing more harm than good?

I am so frustrated. We discovered a dairy allergy at around 7 weeks- terrible excema, fussiness, muscousy stool, and not sleeping. Pedi thought it was an allergy and suggested eliminating dairy first. I did so and within a few days saw a different child. The excema started to heal and sleep and fussiness got better. I have been dairy free (or rather almost) for 6 weeks now (LO is 13 weeks).

But, I seem to mess up every week or so- yesterday we went to Noodles and Company- I checked their website for allegen info and ordered a dairy free dish- so i thought.  Within an hour of the next feed the LO was all broken out. I went back to the website and realized I ordered something that sounded similar to what I was supposed to order but indeed had dairy in it.

In the meantime, even when I am only eating at home, I feel like dairy isnt the only thing going on. The excema is healed, and general fussiness much better, but his stools are still slimey and green, and he doesnt sleep for more than two hours at a time all night long. Last week, I had eaten at home for about 5 days prior and we went to a vegan restaurant. I had a vegetable wrap (wrap contained wheat) sandwich- and some naan bread (contained soy) and olive tapendade.  LO had a breakout after the next feed.

I go back to work in 3 weeks- I am terrified to use any of the milk I have in storage for him in case it was one from one of the messed up days. I breastfed DS #1 for 14 months so I am dedicated to doing this, but just feel like I am doing it wrong.

Help!

Re: BF'ing- doing more harm than good?

• Options
    imagebeckysuejune07:

I am so frustrated. We discovered a dairy allergy at around 7 weeks- terrible excema, fussiness, muscousy stool, and not sleeping. Pedi thought it was an allergy and suggested eliminating dairy first. I did so and within a few days saw a different child. The excema started to heal and sleep and fussiness got better. I have been dairy free (or rather almost) for 6 weeks now (LO is 13 weeks).

But, I seem to mess up every week or so- yesterday we went to Noodles and Company- I checked their website for allegen info and ordered a dairy free dish- so i thought.  Within an hour of the next feed the LO was all broken out. I went back to the website and realized I ordered something that sounded similar to what I was supposed to order but indeed had dairy in it.

In the meantime, even when I am only eating at home, I feel like dairy isnt the only thing going on. The excema is healed, and general fussiness much better, but his stools are still slimey and green, and he doesnt sleep for more than two hours at a time all night long. Last week, I had eaten at home for about 5 days prior and we went to a vegan restaurant. I had a vegetable wrap (wrap contained wheat) sandwich- and some naan bread (contained soy) and olive tapendade.  LO had a breakout after the next feed.

I go back to work in 3 weeks- I am terrified to use any of the milk I have in storage for him in case it was one from one of the messed up days. I breastfed DS #1 for 14 months so I am dedicated to doing this, but just feel like I am doing it wrong.

Help!

You probably should cut out soy also which is even harder. My allergist had me cut dairy, soy, and limit egg. I think 50-60 percent of babies also can't tolerate soy. Are you also cutting out hidden dairy and reading labels in everything u buy for milk, casein, whey, etc 
  • Options
    I had planned on BF'ing my son for 12 months, but when we found out that his reactions and eczema were caused from dairy, soy and possibly wheat and egg, the doctors wanted me to cut all those things from  my diet. At the same time as all of this, I was returning to work, trying to pump, comuting 2 hours per day and adapting to our new schedule at home. Trying to adapt my diet to that extent, was too much for me to handle in addition to all the other changes we were going through. I was successful for about a month back to work, but found the same problems, things were getting into my diet that I didn't realize, because as was stateed before, soy is the worst. So we switched to an elemental formula, and along with our strict skincare regamine, he is a different baby. In the end, formula was a better choice for us, and I give all the credit in the world to the moms who are able to cut everything out of their diets and continue, but I couldn't. You should not feel guilty for what ever you decide to do, in the end you have to make the choice that benefits both of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"