Baby Showers

Advice Needed

My husband and I just found out we are having twin boys.  My soon to be sister-in-law has asked to throw me a shower, which is really awesome and I'm super excited about it.  The problem is that she really, really wants to use the theme of "Double-Header", and although I'm not a sports fan, I'm fine with it (although I did veto the use of the phrase "Mommy and Daddy hit a doube" on the invitations - thought my great-grandmother could be spared from that image).  The problem is that she wants to do baseball-themed food, including hot dogs.  Normally I would be fine with that, but the first time and only time I got really bad morning/all day sickness, I had eaten a hot dog for lunch and since then the idea of even looking at hot dogs just absolutely disgusts me and makes my stomach churn.  I don't want to be rude and ask her to not serve hot dogs but I don't think I can sit for 2 hours and watch hot dogs spin on that little cooker-thing and smell them.  What would you do in this situation?  I keep telling myself to suck it up and that it's all in my head and I need to get over it, but at the same time I don't want to feel queasy my whole shower. 

Re: Advice Needed

• She's going to rent a hot dog roller for your shower? You might want to confirm that before you get too excited.

She might intend on having them cooked on a grill outside. People could go outside to retrieve their dog or she can grill them and throw them in a foil baking pan and cover them to keep them warm. In any of those cases, you wouldn't have to see or smell them.

• Would it be a big issue to talk to SIL about your morning sickness experience with the hot dogs and ask her to come up with (or you come up with) another food suggestion? Is she a reasonable person or would she be totally put off if you explained that to her? If not then I don't think it is being rude to be honest about how you feel...IMO.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it would be out of line for you to explain that they make you ill. It's part of being pregnant. I would just tell her that you like the idea of baseball themed food items but maybe skip the hotdogs and opt for nachos and hamburgers :)
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • I like hot dogs and I love baseball themes...that's what we're using for our meet the baby open house when he's born.  But that's for ME.  For you, I'd see how far away it is cause you're likely to forget how bad hot dogs used to make you feel.

I do think baseball themes are really cute, but that's just me.  Maybe do a test run and smell a hot dog between now and then.  At some point in your life you're going to have to be okay smelling hot dogs again...might as well try now!  My 2 cents.

• If the sight/smell of hot dogs really makes you sick, then this is a medical issue not an etiquette issue and I'm sure your SIL will understand. I'm sure she'd rather you speak up than turn her event into a barf-o-rama.
  • imagetheresat858:

imagekjskjs:
    I don't think it would be out of line for you to explain that they make you ill. It's part of being pregnant. I would just tell her that you like the idea of baseball themed food items but maybe skip the hotdogs and opt for nachos and hamburgers :)

This. Besides, I don't know anyone who has had a hotdog at the ballpark since the age of 12...would you be okay with brats?

Actually I rarely, rarely, rarely eat hot dogs EXCEPT when I go to the ballpark.  It is TRADITION!  There are thousands of people that eat them at the ballpark (and they are not 12).  LOL  Have you ever been to a ballpark?  If so, look around next time.

To the OP...like the one pp said...maybe you could wait a while and see if later in your pregnancy you'll be OK with hot dogs again.  Plus, like another pp said...maybe you can ask your SIL to cook/grill them ahead of time and put them in a container to keep them warm.  She could also have nachos, pizza, etc. which stadiums usually serve.  BTW...I could not stand the smell of spaghetti sauce in my early pregnancy...but by the time I was 5-6 months I could eat it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"