Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Outgrowing MSPI

Has your LO outgrown MSPI? If so, when did you find out and what kind of trial did you do? My almost 8 mth old MSPI son has been exposed to 1-5oz of breast milk containing milk protein over the past four days and I have not seen any reaction but I'm just wondering how quickly I would know. Previously he would react within 24 hrs with green mucous stool and eczema.
Brady Hunter 08/12/08 Carter Joseph 07/31/11 image

Re: Outgrowing MSPI

• DS has this allergy too, and 3 weeks ago I started introducing milk-based foods back into my diet.  I've heard you start with yogurt, then baked goods, then upgrade little by little after that.  My first trial was a half container of yogurt; he didn't have any reaction except for spitting up a little the next few hours (didn't seem to bother him tho).  Since then I've had cookies made with milk and small amounts of cheese with the same reaction.  I've decided to move up to the next level and have a cheese burger this week - wish us luck!  My pedi said most babies outgrow this by 8-10 months, and the only way you'll know is by trial and error. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is not BF, but we're going to be doing a trial right around 1 year. We'd do it now, but I'm having a c/s on 4/4 and don't feel like starting any of it right now. I'm probably going to either start with a small amount of yogurt or some sort of finger food made with milk so it's a small amount. I REALLY hope he's outgrown it...
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • We're not trying until 11 months, but DS was super sensitive and couldn't tolerate my breastmilk even after being dairy/soy free for 4 months (it seemed that he was having reactions to multiple types of foods and was essnetially allergic to my breastmilk).

He has to be on Elecare and we're really only trying because we have to in order for our insurance to keep covering it. I would probably wait another year if I could because I don't want to deal with it! It feels like all the reactions just happened!

• It was 11 mos for DD and I tried before then.  Sounds like you are in decent shape, but I would still ease into it.  DS seems to need a bit more time.  I gave him an item with a bit of soy and it was no good.  :(
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Our GI recently had us trial with processed dairy and it went horribly. We are waiting again until 12 months, I'm honestly not looking forward tonitbased of her reaction to the yogurt.
  • no luck over here! GI said to wait until 12 months and we would do 1 oz cows milk mixed with 5 oz similac alimentum. I stopped BFing at 5 months b/c my supply totally tanked. well pedi said to try some dairy at 9 months. I waited until 10 months. first morning he had 1 oz of yogurt. he threw up about 6 hrs later only a very small amount. next morning I gave him 2 oz, by 3 pm he was having massive exploding watery diarrhea. smelled horrible. this continued for NINE DAYS!!!!!! hourly explosions pretty much. I couldn't leave the house. he was fine otherwise - playing and sleeping well! at 11 months I took him to an allergist for testing. tested NEGATIVE for like everything under the sun!! allergist recommended NO dairy or soy until 18 months!!!!!!!! and for when we try to do something with dairy that is baked really really well. then advance slowly to something cooked less 9like pancakes) and so on. I am in NO rush to try anything after the yogurt debacle. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejunebride060306:
    no luck over here! GI said to wait until 12 months and we would do 1 oz cows milk mixed with 5 oz similac alimentum. I stopped BFing at 5 months b/c my supply totally tanked. well pedi said to try some dairy at 9 months. I waited until 10 months. first morning he had 1 oz of yogurt. he threw up about 6 hrs later only a very small amount. next morning I gave him 2 oz, by 3 pm he was having massive exploding watery diarrhea. smelled horrible. this continued for NINE DAYS!!!!!! hourly explosions pretty much. I couldn't leave the house. he was fine otherwise - playing and sleeping well! at 11 months I took him to an allergist for testing. tested NEGATIVE for like everything under the sun!! allergist recommended NO dairy or soy until 18 months!!!!!!!! and for when we try to do something with dairy that is baked really really well. then advance slowly to something cooked less 9like pancakes) and so on. I am in NO rush to try anything after the yogurt debacle. 

ugh! I'm so sorry! This is exactly why I am dreading it! I would rather just not try! I'm fine with giving him coconut milk yogurt! ; ) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"