Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Gagging with solids and greens?

So my LO already hates green foods!  Peas, green beans, spinach...the pukes!  Some of the mixed ones she will eat like pear and broccoli, etc.  She eats puffs well...unless it gets stuck on the back of her tongue then it's gag city!  BUT I've tried some other "solids" because she likes to feed herself..and she ate a green pea and immediately gagged and sputtered, she tried a second and the puked!  Then again, I steamed some apples to make them soft knowing she likes the flavor and again gagged and puked!  I don't know if it's too early for her or if there is something else I can do...any suggestions?  I'm going to give it a week or so and try again but it's so frustrating bc she really likes to feed herself!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image image

Re: Gagging with solids and greens?

• Like, literally puked?  And is it only green foods or all foods?  When you say solids, you mean finger foods or pure?s or both?  I'm just trying to figure out if it's the taste or the texture that's bothering her (not used to finger foods yet, maybe).  If you're including apples and pears with "green" foods, I can't imagine it's the taste; apples and pears taste nothing like green beans and broccoli!!

Babies gag for all sorts of reasons, but it sounds like you're saying she gags/pukes when trying to eat something not pure?d.  If that's the case, that's very common when first trying finger foods and she should grow out of that with experience.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imageSnapdragon750:

Like, literally puked?  And is it only green foods or all foods?  When you say solids, you mean finger foods or pure?s or both?  I'm just trying to figure out if it's the taste or the texture that's bothering her (not used to finger foods yet, maybe).  If you're including apples and pears with "green" foods, I can't imagine it's the taste; apples and pears taste nothing like green beans and broccoli!!

Babies gag for all sorts of reasons, but it sounds like you're saying she gags/pukes when trying to eat something not pure?d.  If that's the case, that's very common when first trying finger foods and she should grow out of that with experience.

This. She probably just isn't ready. At 7 months DS would gag on a half a puff (and sometimes puke), and then by 8 months he would try to eat handfulls.  I would just give her a break and then reintroduce little by little until she seems okay with the texture. 

• Loading the player...
  • I introduced DS to finger foods very slowly because he just didn't seem to get it. He would seriously gag on a puff divided in 5 pieces. Thought it was too small and tried 1/2 a puff and he looked really close to choking. I tried other finger foods and it was the same thing over and over. I just kept trying with little (Safe) pieces and he's finally getting it. I've tried upping the size of really squishy foods like peaches and he gagged again, but he's definitely doing much better. He just wasn't in a hurry. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"