Military Families

Intro! Pregnant & Moving to Ramstein

Hello everyone!  I've been lurking here for a little while, and now that we're finally pregnant, thought it was time to introduce myself.

After a year and a half of trying to conceive naturally, we went through IVF with ICSI and were thrilled to get our BFP on March 10th.  My betas have all come back very strong, and my first ultrasound is on April 4th.  I can't wait!

The one little hiccup in our excitement is that we are PCSing to Ramstein in May, and I'm a little anxious about how OB/GYN care is over there.  Here in Charleston, they don't have a large enough clinic to see us on base, so we are allowed to see offbase providers without a referral.  It's been a long time since I've dealt with a military gynecologist, and my experiences in the past (attempting to get anyone to take infertility seriously) haven't been great.  Plus my plan before we were moving was to go to a local birthing center and hopefully avoid any kind of hospital birth.  I'm assuming that's off the table now.

Anyone here that has been stationed at Ramstein during a pregnancy and can share their experience?  I really am thrilled about our move--it's a real dream come true, and I'm determined to make the best of things.  I'd just like to not feel like I'm going into this blind!

Married 11/24/2007
TTC since 11/2010
Diagnosed with MFI and advanced maternal aging
IVF with ICSI transferred 2 embies 3/3/2012
BFP 3/10/2012
EDD 11/22/2012
IT'S TWINS!!!

My Blog:
Blog

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Intro! Pregnant & Moving to Ramstein

• No advice but wanted to say congrats on the pregnancy!  It will fly by faster than you know Big Smile
  • Ramstien is right next to Landstuhl Medical hospital. You will either have to go on base or use the German Hospitals...no such thing as birthing centers in socialized medicine. At least not In our region. 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I gave birth at a German hospital and loved the experience.  Everyone goes to Landstuhl for major problems, so I don't think it would be a bad place to give birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I wasn't in Ramstein, but in Mannheim and even though they're a socialized economy they do have birthing hospitals. But, rather than centers, they have special (smaller) hospitals that specialize in women only. This is the type I gave birth in. In my room (which was SUPER nice) I had the choice of a water bath, a bed or anywhere in between. I ended up going c-section at the end but the rooms were awesome. So, if you do give birth at Landstuhl I'm sure it will be fine because that is a very nice hospital. However, don't be scared if you do go out on the economy to see a German doctor. They all speak English and usually better than we do! The only things you will need to get used to, which is in some previous posts:

-privacy is very American. You will basically walk to the other side of the room to change while the doctor stays in the room. Most appointments you will just be undressed from the waist down but won't be given a cover. They don't care about nudity like we do. So, get comfortable:) It's not a big deal.

-something that scared me: the Germans use the silver shoe horn looking devices (two of them together) to open your vagina instead of a plastic device we're used to that throw away after. They sanitize them. I just remember them scaring the crap out of me.

-your appointment will NOT be fast! However, you will get many ultrasounds and listen to your baby's heartbeat on a monitor that they print for your record. Is it called an EKG? I remember being in the EKG room alone for over an hour sometimes. My appointments sometimes lasted half a day.

-you will get a Mutterpass. It's like a baby passport. It's neat because they track everything for you and you keep it with you. 

-I had an ultrasound at every appointment!

-My German doctor went to the hospital for all of his patients no matter what time of day it was. He would make his appointments wait or reschedule if he had to rush out.

-you will stay in the hospital longer after the birth and the nurses are there to help you with the baby in the nursery so you can rest. I was in the hospital for 7 days. Vaginal was atleast 3-4. 

So, that is just my experience! Everyone else feel free to chime in! 

• We just came fromRAB and loved it. You will be given a choice at your first appt whether u want to be seen at landstuhl or off base. I chose landstuhl.  I only had to go off base for one appt (my NT scan).  Otherwise everything else was at landstuhl.  I have nothing but great things to say. They offer a newer program called centering that it sounds like U may like. Instead of rotating thru providers (like many civilian practices) you will go to a group class for your appt with two midwives. After the class (all with ppl due around the same time as u so gOod for meeting ppl) u will have your own appt with the midwife (to say, have your u/s).  I pcsed at 24 weeks so did not give birth there but plenty of my friends did and they had a great experience.  They got a huge gift basket to take home too :).oh and they do this little chime throughout the hospital when a baby is born- thought that was cute!  Anyore questions let me know! 

• jb2rnjb2rn member

I have a friend at Ramstein and she had her baby in Sept 11 at Landstul and liked it.

I am in Stuttgart, there is no military hospital here, so I saw a German OB and delivered at a German hospital and the care is very good. Much less rushed than an American OB practice (I moved at 16 weeks)

best of luck to you and Congratulations!

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• jb2rnjb2rn member
    btw, your blog says you are 30 - you are not AMA. I was 35 when I gave birth and that is AMA, and here in Germany it's the norm, which is nice. I was never treated as though I was "old".
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Thank you all so much for your responses!  I think I'll definitely at least research some local hospitals, but it sounds like Landstuhl has a great practice as well.  I really appreciate all of your responses and I'm looking forward to sticking around here :)

Married 11/24/2007
    TTC since 11/2010
    BFP 3/10/2012
    EDD 11/22/2012
    IT'S TWINS!!!

My Blog:
    Blog

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagejb2rn:
    btw, your blog says you are 30 - you are not AMA. I was 35 when I gave birth and that is AMA, and here in Germany it's the norm, which is nice. I was never treated as though I was "old".

Hey there!  The AMA is actually based on my AMH and FSH levels--I have a somewhat diminished ovarian reserve and the eggs that are produced aren't the best quality.  I just have the ovaries of a woman about ten years older than me, or as I like to call them, my "geriatric ovaries" ;) 

Married 11/24/2007
    TTC since 11/2010
    BFP 3/10/2012
    EDD 11/22/2012
    IT'S TWINS!!!

My Blog:
    Blog

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm actually currently at Ramstein with my husband (and expecting our first in July). I've gone to Landstuhl for all of my appointments, and I've had nothing but awesome experiences. The OBs and nurses have all been wonderful. My only complaint is parking! There's never enough. Try to schedule morning appointments when you can, and always make sure you get there early enough to have time to find a space ;)

Feel free to email me up when you get here (or before) if you need a friend! lrn.wllms[at]gmail[dot]com 

• No advice on Ramstein, but congrats!  Also, we got married just 3 weeks before you on 11/3.  Good to see another 11/07 bride!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagespringel:

I'm actually currently at Ramstein with my husband (and expecting our first in July). I've gone to Landstuhl for all of my appointments, and I've had nothing but awesome experiences. The OBs and nurses have all been wonderful. My only complaint is parking! There's never enough. Try to schedule morning appointments when you can, and always make sure you get there early enough to have time to find a space ;)

Feel free to email me up when you get here (or before) if you need a friend! lrn.wllms[at]gmail[dot]com 

Great to hear all of these good experiences at Landstuhl.  I do think it would be easier to go there than a local clinic, though I think we'll still look into it once we're over there.  I'll definitely be in touch in May--can never have enough friends when you're an ocean away from everything you know! 

Married 11/24/2007
    TTC since 11/2010
    BFP 3/10/2012
    EDD 11/22/2012
    IT'S TWINS!!!

My Blog:
    Blog

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageFancy3Face:
    No advice on Ramstein, but congrats!  Also, we got married just 3 weeks before you on 11/3.  Good to see another 11/07 bride!

That's so awesome!  It was a truly great month to get married :) 

Married 11/24/2007
    TTC since 11/2010
    BFP 3/10/2012
    EDD 11/22/2012
    IT'S TWINS!!!

My Blog:
    Blog

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm in Germany as well, but in the Wiesbaden area.  Prenatal care is so much better in Germany.  I have a German doctor and they are amazing.  I've had ultrasounds done at every appt.  They want to see you as soon as you find out.  Just make sure if you see a German doctor to wear a dress or skirt...they don't give you gowns!
  • Hey! I am in Germany also. I go to a German doctor, and I really like her. This is my first baby, so I don't have anything to compare it with. From what I've learned, the Germans have a more natural approach to child birth. You're more free to do things your way than you are in the states. Also, they have midwives in all of the hospitals that deliver the babies, which I really like. I'm due in 5 days, so we shall see how it goes (:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"