Two Under 2

Let's be honest here (Lifting older child post partum)

After #2 was born, did you actually not pick up #1? If you didn't, how long did you keep that up for? If you did, how often did you pick #1 up?

I pick DS1 up maybe once or twice a day because he is such a mommy's boy or because I need to get him away from something. Yesterday I had a friend over and she strongly reprimanded me for picking up my crying 16 month old (he had just woken from a nap and was too scared to leave his bed because of the guests he didn't recognize). I understand why you're not supposed to so I try not to, but even so it's my body, my decision. And if it meant that much to her why didnt she offer to help instead of stay seated on the couch. 
Yeah I'm a little annoyed haha and just wondering if I'm the only one that doesnt follow that direction. 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Let's be honest here (Lifting older child post partum)

• I was fortunate that my MIL took the older kids (each time I had a baby) for a few days after I gave birth, but the second they came home it was "back to normal" I remember that I picked up DS2 a lot when DD1 was born because he had PT issues and wasn't able to walk yet.  I know you aren't supposed to pick them up, I wasn't really in pain so I did it (I'm not saying that's a GOOD reason, but that is why).  I mean, how are you supposed to get them in and out of their crib?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Is this because of a c-section, or in general (and if so, why not)?
  • Loading the player...
  • After I got home I went 5 days without picking DD up because I was either home with DH or at my parents.

At day 5 DD wiped out on the linoleum in my parents kitchen and cracked her head off the floor. I wasn't thinking and just scooped her up. It didn't hurt (I wasn't even slow about it) so I didn't care after that.

I do have c-sections so I did really try.

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
  • imageMammaBear81:
    I know you aren't supposed to pick them up, I wasn't really in pain so I did it (I'm not saying that's a GOOD reason, but that is why).  I mean, how are you supposed to get them in and out of their crib?

This, especially the bolded. DD1 weighed about 23 lbs when DD2 was born, and I was told not to lift over 10 lbs (vag delivery, no c-section). I had help for the first 24 hours we were home, but after that I had to get DD1 in and out of her crib and booster seat somehow, and for as much of a climber she is she never once climbed into or out of the crib.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been wondering this because the midwife went on and on one appointment about having DD climb into her carseat, the shopping cart, into bed by herself and I'm thinking there's just no way. She's not a climber to begin with and I'm certainly not going to teach her how to climb out of her crib! Plus I have a half back seat in my truck and with her still RF there's no room for her to climb in, even if she could reach. The last couple weeks I've been limiting how much I carry her or pick her up if she doesn't have to be (it hurts), so I am lifting her less, but I don't see it stopping completely.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I was never told by my OB not to do any lifting after having DD2 (I had a VBAC). If someone else was around, I would have them lift DD1 as needed but if I were by myself, well then of course I would pick her up if she needed me to. You just do what you have to do.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Both were c-sections...I picked DD up the day I got home from hospital (3 days PP)...she was 17m and about 30lbs!! I was fine :)
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My son went straight to the NICU after birth and DH and I went right over there with him. So I was forced to not lift my DD for 2 days while we were in the NICU with DS. Once we left him there and came home, I was back to lifting her. I tried really hard to only lift her for bedtime. I monitored my bleeding and gauged that as if I was doing too much.

By day 6 I carried my sleeping DD (13 months at the time) all the way from the car to the NICU (at least a mile). While that's not recommended I was fine. I definitely healed quicker after #2 than #1... And I had episiotomies every time.
  • I kept lifting him as normal but I didn't carry him around. If he needed to get into his carseat etc I did that with no problem. If he wanted comforting I'd pick him up and go right to the couch to sit with him. If he wanted to get up so he could see I'd get him a stool or his kitchen helper. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you! It's reassuring to know in not the only one who finds the request pretty unreasonable and doesn't follow it. 

My friend has post partum healing issues so I understand why it would be so important for her but that's her body's response, not mine..

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did follow the rules for the first few weeks, but I had a c-section so it's kind of different.

It sounds like what you're doing is fine which is limiting lifting your child. I wouldn't say walk around carrying your toddler all day is ok--just use caution. Lift properly-crouch down and use your legs vs your abdominal area to lift.

• Yeah, I carried my older DS out of the hospital (30lbs) two days after having DS2.  I didn't change my interactions with him at all, and didn't have too much help.  Into and out of the crib, RF car seat, highchair, bathtub, off and on the changing table, etc.  Had no issues at all (though I did have a vaginal delivery).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had DD at 7pm, and DS came to the hospital to visit the next morning...and I picked him right up!  I had a vaginal delivery and my instructions were no lifting over 25lbs.  DS was 23 lbs, so I wasn't even breaking rules!  I will say, when I got home I took DS to Target alone on about day 5, and I was in terrible pain with increased bleeding that day.  I took it easy for a day, then was better.  I may have done a bit too much.  But within 2 weeks, when DH was back at work, I was carrying the 2 of them by myself at times.  Definitely over the 25 lb limit Smile
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only day I didn't lift my oldest was when my mom brought her to visit us the morning after having our second.  I was like 7 hours past delivery and I wasn't up to lifting and holding my toddler right then.  When we came home the next day it was back to normal and I was lifting/carrying/holding everything.  But then I've never heard of a don't carry rule unless you have a c-section so it never would have occured to me to not lift her once I was home.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• I did lift my DD when it was necessary, but DH was home for 2 weeks (so he did most lifting) and I did my best to let her crawl into my lap so it was very few and far between.  Plus, my DD (16m when DS was born) was/is a tiny little thing.  She was like 18 pounds at 1 year and was probably only about 20 pounds when DS was born.  I also had a normal vaginal delivery with no complications.

That being said, I wouldn't flippantly ignore your doctor.  There are good reasons that you shouldn't be hauling around your toddler.  I have had a few friends hemmorage and need to go back into the hospital for not taking it easy and doing too much too soon.  And it goes without saying, you are no good to your toddler or your newborn if you are in the hospital.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagehannahbagels:

Thank you! It's reassuring to know in not the only one who finds the request pretty unreasonable and doesn't follow it. 

My friend has post partum healing issues so I understand why it would be so important for her but that's her body's response, not mine..

No offense, but you have zero idea if you are susceptible to it until it happens to you.  It can happen to anyone.  Up to 4-6 weeks out, which is why you shouldn't be doing anything (like heavy lifting, exercise) for that long.

I haven't had pp healing issues with either pregnancy, but I did land myself in the hospital with a blood transfusion after a D&C for a miscarrage a few years ago. I started hemmoraging over a week after the proceedure OUT OF THE BLUE. 

You are only 8 days post pardum, I would still be trying to take it as easy as possible if I were you.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Did you have a c-section? I did, and I didn't pick up DS1 for 2 weeks. It was really rough. I had help. If I didn't have a c-section I would have picked him up immediately. 

• I tried to limit how much I picked DD up.  If I had to put her in her high chair I would make sure I was sitting first and I always tried to lift with my legs and not my belly/back.  I had a very easy recovery, though.
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • When I get home from the hospital next week, DS will be 11 months and about 26 (at least) pounds. DH will be home for 2 weeks and is going to be on "DS duty" as far as lifting, carrying, putting in crib, etc., but I know that I'll lift him at some point before I'm actually supposed to. My OB's restrictions are no more than the baby and carrier for the first 2 weeks and then 30 lbs after that. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"