Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Chromosomes

I already posted this on TTCAL board but can't stop thinking about it so I wanted to post here too.  After my D&C I had the tissue tested.  When I went for my follow up my doctor said that the baby was not healthy and that it had an extra chromosome 14.  She said we should be fine the next time and that it was just luck that this happened.  I don't like the word "should" and was wondering if anyone who has had a similar situation has done genetic testing?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Chromosomes

• Options

Hi, I'm a fertility nurse and I'd like to offer you my experience and knowledge.

Your doctor is right. You had a trisomy. 3 chromosomes instead of 2 of the 14th chromosome. A complete and total fluke.?

There is no genetic testing that you can do on yourself and the likelihood that this will happen again is very rare. I don't have statistics for you but if you're under 35 it's like a 1 in 300 chance.

Now if you continue to have losses due to a chromosomal issue you could do IVF with PGD. That's where they biopsy the embryos you create and put back into your uterus only a?chromosomal?normal embryo. But no doctor would?recommend?that procedure until you have at least 3 losses.

I understand your need for control and to make sense of this tragedy. My DD was born with a rare genetic syndrome that was passed down by me and my DH. We couldn't have prevented it nor have known that we each carried a mutated gene that caused our DD's condition.

What you're going through is a huge disappointment and so heartbreaking. You have my condolences. ?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My baby had Trisomy 18 (3 copies of #18 chromosome).  We were also told that it was a "fluke" and that our chances of it happening again are no worse than they were this time.  Unfortunately, that doesn't bring comfort since I WAS in the 1% that it happens to this time.  My husband and I did both get a chromosome karotype done after our loss... they took 1 vile of blood from both of us and checked to make sure that our chromosomes are "normal."  (They were)  Our doctor told us that it wasn't necessary, since they could tell from my amnio that the Trisomy 18 wasn't caused by us, but also said we could do it for a little bit of piece of mind that there wasn't something else wrong with our own chromosomes.

I'm sorry you are going through this.  Hugs to you.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi, every time I get pregnant, my baby will be at high risk for having Trisomy 14...this is due to the fact that DH has a translocation involving this chromosome.  We did have genetic testing and found that DH was a carrier of this translocation (luckily, it did not cause trisomy for DS). 

You could opt for a simple blood test to see if both you and DH have any issues with your chromosome #14.  If not, then yes...it was a total fluke!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"