Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

why oh why will my child not sleep through the night!

My 16 month old only sleeps through the night on average 3 nights a week.  Last night she woke up at 2ish and I let her cry or fuss for a long time.  The fussing turned to crying that didn't seem to end.  SO i went in. she stood up with her blankey, I picked her up and she went back to sleep. I rocked and rocked and rocked and put her back down.  She cried even harder and longer, so I went back in and rocked her the rest of the night.  She does this often, but usually it is around 5 or 6 in the morning, so I don't mind as much.  BUT this is getting out of control.  I don't know if it is teething? I think the only ones left are the front side (eye teeth?  the sharp ones) Or is she cold?  Or just spoiled?

Re: why oh why will my child not sleep through the night!

• Options
    DS goes thru this every once in a while.  He woke up last night at 2 and I let him CIO.  It lasted maybe 5 minutes.  I think he does that when he can't find his blanket.  Could be teething.  Load her up with origel tonight and see what happens.
  • Options
    I so wish I knew the ansers or what to tell you - could be cold, or teeth.  Or may she is waking up in the middle of the night as most kids do, and just doesn't know how to settle herself back to sleep...I don't know how to solve that though.  Hearing them cry is the worst :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If your DD had to be rocked for hours, I'd tend to think that she didn't feel well or was cold, especially if it's not something she does all the time.
    - Jena
  • Options
    Sometimes mine wakes up at night when she's teething.  If I know she's teething I try and give her motrin right before bed so it lasts a while.  I'm sorry.  Not sleeping is the worst. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It could be the start of the 18 month sleep regression.  The canines/eye teeth come in around her age.

My DD has STTN maybe 3 times in the last 2 years.  She stopped STTN at 4 months... I night weaned her at 26 months, which didn't help... now we will occasionally get lucky, and she'll come into our room for the first time at 6am.  So I guess it has been about 2 years of waking at least once a night.  At least now that she's in her twin bed she can just come into our room so I don't have to get up.

I think kids just sometimes get upset or scared at night and want to know that mommy and daddy are still here.  I don't call that spoiled, although I'm sure there are others that do.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

I am so sorry - not sleeping is so exhausting. My son is 17 months old, it happens sometimes when he is teething.... I can tell you what we generally do to keep him sleeping, but every kid is different.

1. Cold. Our home has the lousiest isolation ever. Therefore I invested into very warm pyjamas (the sweatshirt fabric, with feet!) and a sleeping bag, so that he can't lose it over the night. I also bathe him and give him a bottle of nearly hot milk just before bed, that way he's all relaxed, warm and sleepy.

2. If I see throughout the day that a new tooth seems to be an issue, I give some herbal kind of painkillers (chamomilla), or, if I see he's really in pain - kid's paracetamol. But you gotta do it BEFORE bed.

3. If she wakes up early every day - maybe she's going to bed too early? Or maybe she's got a growth spurt, and she's just... hungry?

DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"