Natural Birth

"Avoiding Induction" discussion with my MW....

I met with my midwife yesterday, and during our appointment discussed "what ifs", so that I have a better idea of every possible scenario when it comes down to my due date, and what would happen if i don't go into labor by 42 weeks (their cutoff).

She understood how hard this conversation was for me to have, but explained that they could potentially end up having to use pitocin, cervadil, foley balloon, rupture of membranes, etc... (my midwife practices with an OB practice that is super NB oriented, but delivers in a hospital, which is the reason for the 42 week limit)...

I am so nervous that I will not go into labor by 42 weeks. This is my first baby, and I can't wrap my mind around any kind of intervention, knowing the chain of effects that could happen as a result.

Also, she informed me that my pelvis is shaped in a way that will likely end up with a posterior positioned baby, unless the baby is manipulated into facing the right direction. We discussed the webster technique, and other methods that will help him face the right way. I guess I just left the appointment with a new concern that baby Owen will settle the wrong way, resulting in an arduous 36 hour labor that doesnt progress naturally and leaves me feeling like my back is being sawed in half.

I am seeing a chiropractor that specializes in turning babies and the webster technique, so I am doing everything in my power to "stack the deck" in my favor. But I am still nervous. I"m probably being ridiculous.

Anyway, At 39 weeks, i'm thinking I may need to pull out all the stops to try and naturally induce labor- walking, sex and more sex, nipple stimulation, castor oil, etc... but who knows? Maybe I'll go into labor early or on time, and all will be right with my labor! I certainly hope so. :-/

Re: "Avoiding Induction" discussion with my MW....

• If it makes you feel any better, I do think that most moms, even FTM, go into labor naturally by 42 weeks. A lot of places won't let you go past 41 weeks, but I wouldn't be super worried about the 42 week cutoff. My (hospital) mw have the same rule, but they said they only induce about 10% of the time (and that included inductions for health issues besides being overdue). Also, when my mom had me, I was posterior and she was able to have me completely naturally in only 12 hours. Her back did hurt, but she said it wasn't unbearable. A posterior baby may lengthen your labor, but it may not either.
  • I've never heard of anyone's pelvis shape predisposing their baby to a posterior position. I'm not saying your MW's wrong, I've just never heard of it. 

Anyway, try not to freak out. You have lots of time. Besides seeing a chiropractor, there are lots of things you can do to help encourage baby to get into and stay in an anterior position-- check out spinningbabies for tips on that.

As far as going past 42 weeks, most women don't. I was afraid of that, too, but I had DD at 40 weeks, 2 days.

And regarding any interventions, remember that they aren't necessarily bad things in and of themselves. Believe that you will make the right decision for you and your baby, regardless of the specific situation. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I completely understand.  I was induced with my first at 41 weeks - it wasn't terrible but I did get an epi which slowed down labor and then agreed to pitocin.  My big fear now is having to be induced again and then have a c-section as an end result (I am TERRIFIED of surgery - literally, I still have wisdom teeth b/c I don't want the surgery).  My current midwife situation sounds a lot like yours and they'll let me go to 41.5 w but I am concerned they'll want to move forward sooner due to size and fluid again (I seem to have big babies).  No advice here, just understanding!  I will say this though - I had them break my water for induction and it did work - labor started very soon thereafter.   As I said, it wasn't great but it was probably better than other induction options.  I am also working on naturally getting things going (my poor husband will be very tired over the next 10 or so days!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Can I ask a quick question...why does all your siggys say you are 28 weeks?  

Sorry I don't really have much help just a question.
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • Newziemom- haha... because I am 28 weeks right now. I know, you're thinking "why is she obsessing about going overdue right now?" I just had all this on my mind today, because of my appointment yesterday.

Thanks for your advice and reassurance, everyone. I find it comforting that most FTM's deliver naturally without induction before 42 weeks.

• I think your best bet is to trust your body to do what it is supposed to. If you focus on this, stress,  are afraid of it, etc. late in your PG it very well may stall things. Your best bet is going to relax about it yet educate yourself on proper positioning, how to get through OP labor, etc. In reality, all of the natural induction techniques in the world won't start a labor that it isn't really time for.

• As PP said, the majority of moms, even FTM's go into labor before 42 weeks, so I wouldn't start worrying about it until you're at least 41.5 weeks Wink

I was the same as you, obsessed with "stacking the deck" in my favor to avoid an induction (my hospital didn't let you get much past 41 weeks unfortunately), but ended up being induced at 40+1 day despite my best efforts.  Even my doula told me not to be upset, sometimes an induction is unavoidable in certain situations (DS had extremely low fluids).  I was still able to have a natural birth, and it was really hard on pitocin, but I still did it.  So even if you wind up in a less than optimal situation as far as your "plan", don't think it's the end of the world!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like PP said I think right now the best think you can do is just relax and not stress yourself out.  Stress and NB don't really go all that well together.  Just try to relax and allow yourself to believe in your body.  
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • Just letting you know that if you DO have to go the induction route, it won't be impossible for the birth itself to be fine. I had to be induced at 41 weeks, and we did, over the course of three days, cytotec, cervidil, breaking my waters, and then Pitocin. 

And I gave birth without an epi, or painkillers of any sort, no complications, no fetal distress, and only 1 stitch worth of tearing.

I totally had the fear that if there was any intervention, I'd end up with a c-section, but those interventions while they certainly increase the chance of c-section do NOT mean that you are certain to have to have one. Rest a little easier on that count.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"