2nd Trimester

Deli Meat and Listeria...Scared

On Tuesday my job had a luncheon and of course what do they serve "deli meat" sandwiches. I didn't look at all the options before I grabbed a sandwich,so I didn't notice there were tuna sandwiches as well. Long story short I ate two deli meat sandwiches and the meat was not reheated. I know I could have either went with the tuna sandwich or waited until the luncheon was over and purchased something else for lunch, but I didn't. So now I'm so nervous and scared that may have put my baby at risk for listeria. Should I be worried? I read online that symptoms can take anywhere from 2 to 30 days to appear. Or am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Deli Meat and Listeria...Scared

• It is a risk any time you eat lunchmeat, pregnant or not.  I wouldnt worry about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• The symptoms will feel a lot like the flu, I wouldn't worry unless you start to feel ill. If you do, your OB will know what to do. Stay away from it in the future, and try not to worry...
  • Loading the player...
  • I pretty much eat a Subway turkey sandwich everyday so I wouldn't worry about it :)
  • imagejworkman1980:
    I pretty much eat a Subway turkey sandwich everyday so I wouldn't worry about it :)

I know it's rare but my doula ate at Subway and she got so sick from listeriosis she went into labor, thankfully she was full term. My OB is very strict about it, that sais something about the potential dangers...Something to keep in mind, to me it's not worth the risk...

• irerirer member
    I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • Stop worrying.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Thanks ladies for your thoughts. Being that it's my first pregnancy I want to make sure I do everything right. But I will stop worrying.
  • LM915LM915 member
    Try not to stress too much about it, what's done is done.  If you start feeling sick or anything, definitely call your OB, but hopefullly everything is fine with you and the baby.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 | DD born July 2012
    BFP #2 | EDD 04.18.14 | D&C 10.01.13 @ 11w3d
    BFP #3 | EDD 09.15.14
  • Don't worry about it. The odds of it containing listeria is really low.  The reason why they don't want you to eat it is because your immune system is not as strong so if you did catch something like that, you're body will have a harder time fighting it.  So they want you to eat low risk foods.  Even deli meat is highly unlikely to contain listeria...if the odds were high then it wouldn't be safe for anyone to eat.

• imagenola78:

Some veggies actually put you at a higher risk of listeria.  Lunch meat has a bad reputation that isn't really deserved if you look at the actual outbreak sources.

My OB told me that there were only 800 cases of listeria in the whole US last year.  Only a fraction of those came from lunch meat.

This, this, this.

Do you know the source of deadliest listeria outbreak in the last decade? Cantaloupe. Nobody has said anything about not eating cantaloupe...

If you haven't felt any symptoms at this point, you are probably just fine.

• I wouldnt worry too much because your just gonna get stressed out! I work in a deli and I have for the last 2 years and have never once had listeria. Everything should be alright I promise! :)
  • You'll be fine Wink

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The nurses at the hospital where I had my son laughed at me for not eating lunch meat with him. I only had it a few times with this one. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My Dr. is pretty laid back. First appt. with her I asked her my Do's and Don's and the list was short. I specifically asked about deli meats, because I LOVE them! And she said deli meat is fine, she would go to a trusted deli and at a groceries meat counter always choose the store made meats (store oven roasted turkey, sotre roast beef) over the provessed stuff, but she wasn't concerned and I am not either now.

Not to say I go nuts eating deli meat, but when I want it, I have it. My personal opinion is there is way to much out there to scare us pregnant mom's - too many do's and don'ts...it is kind of ridiculous. And as a PP said we can get listeria pregnant or not. The issue is that listeria crosses the placenta so could affect the baby...but honestly don't drive yourself crazy. I am sure you adn your LO are perfectly fine

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Don't worry about it. I don't eat sandwiches every day, but I don't worry when I have Jimmy Johns or Subway. Plus, my dr. told me to stay away from tuna. Not totally, but to limit it a lot. Luckily, I hate tuna anyway. :)
  • You're going to have an awfully rough pregnancy if you get this worked up over some lunch meat. 

It's my first go at this pregnancy thing, too. Hasn't stopped me from eating Jimmy Johns weekly. I just can't help myself.  

• I had Subway every say in my first tri with both babies. My OB said as long as it has not been sitting out all day, I am fine to eat it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageLoisLane23:
    Oh FFS. The odds of you getting listeria from produce are far greater than the odds of you getting it from that damn sandwich. Chill.

This. 

• imageSookieFrackhouse68:

I have lived off lunch meat this pregnancy. And my baby has extra awesome rays coming out of it. The u/s tech told me so.

The moral? Eat lunch meat, be awesome.

Mine does too. And the extra arm should come in handy when he's cleaning his room!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks for all the positive comments and suggestions. I will not worry about it, and focus on more positive things. Thanks again.
  • I literally eat a ham/cheese sandwich daily and never had a issue. I wouldn't worry about it. Never heard of the listeria scare 17 years ago when I was pregnant with my first and im not worried about it now.

• I am so glad you posted about this Iv been feeling really guilty about it but sandwiches are like my favorite thing this pregnancy. I want ham or turkey subs/ sandwiches everyday I'm pretty good about microwaving it for 15 seconds but still I was a tad worried
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"