Natural Birth

Hospital tour left me a little upset

I chose a hospital 45 mins away because of their excellent midwifery practice and support for natural child birth. Their web site boasts that every room has a jacuzzi tub for laboring. Well, we went on the tour of the child birth center last weekend and they weren't saying anything about the tubs. They said they have a birthing tub, but that was first come first serve. So I asked about the jacuzzi tubs and the tour guide says, "oh well the legal answer is no. You can't labor in those tubs. They are technically showers, but we can't keep you from sitting down and turning on the jets. wink wink." What the heck does this mean?? I'm going to ask my midwife about this on Monday, but I'm wondering why they would advertise something on their web site and then give me such a strange answer. I'm starting to think I should have just done a home birth. No matter how "natural" the hospital, they are still wrapped up in politics. Last week they told me a water birth was out because of a history of shoulder dystocia and now they are telling me I might not be able to labor in a jacuzzi tub if the birthing tub is taken?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hospital tour left me a little upset

• I guess they have rules and regulations set up (probably to appease the insurance companies) but at least it sounds like they are willing to turn a blind eye and let the mothers choose where and how they want to labor.  But it does seem like false advertising to me too.  Hoping your MW gives you a good answer :)

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • imageLaurelBee:
    I guess they have rules and regulations set up (probably to appease the insurance companies) but at least it sounds like they are willing to turn a blind eye and let the mothers choose where and how they want to labor.  But it does seem like false advertising to me too.  Hoping your MW gives you a good answer :)

You're right. I reread me post and it was a little harsh. It felt like false advertising. I'm just curious as to why they wouldn't be allowed to really "use" them.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree, that is a litlte "bait and switch''.

If your hospital is anything like mine, I had a gorgeous bathroom with the nice shower and all for "laboring" but when it came down to it, I had to be constantly on the monitor (even though I had no reason to be). There's no way they would have let me in the shower unless I maybe threw a huge major fit. Check with your MW about their policies for all of that, she'll be able to tell you better. Our hospital tour was nothing like the actual experience!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Because it's a health care facility and that's not a designated place to birth. It's one thing to use it to relieve pain, but it's a legal protocol thing. Certain happenings (labor, surgery, etc) have to be done with rooms of certain dimensions and equipment with certain stuff or so on.

Whatever happens happens is what they're leading on to...you could be getting pain relief there and "waiting" for the birthing tub, but have your baby in the jacuzzi tub instead because when you have the baby they're not going to tell you to get up and move and disturb what's happening. 

As for the shoulder dystocia...how does your history of having a child with it really factor into you not being able to have a water birth? If you're in the water and squatting and up right and moving around, you're less likely to have to deal with it. Laying on your back while pushing doesn't allow your pelvis to expand how it needs to in order to make things easier during labor.

• Our hospital tour is what made me decide on a home birth instead.  We toured with another couple that had done a home birth before (they were having twins this time around), and they were asking all the same questions we were.  The jacuzzi tubs that were advertised we're just deep bathtubs with the jets.  I felt like the hospital was trying to be NB friendly, but the politics got in the way.  You can still do a home birth if it makes you more comfortable, or see what other hospitals have to offer.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think they have to be a little careful about what they can openly say the tubs are used for, probably because of legal/insurance issues. With the birthing center at the hospital I went to, they made it clear that the bathtub in the room was NOT FOR GIVING BIRTH. Like, several times. Also when they talked about the tub, they always stressed it for showers. 

But, when the time came and I went into transition, my nurse was all "Okay, time for the tub, let's go fill that!" and got me into the tub, where I went through the worst part of my labor. Then just as transition was ending, they got me out of the tub (I to this day do not remember it happening, it's all a blur from when they said I was getting out to the point where I was standing and they were towelling me off) and onto the bed. My hair was still wet as they put my baby on my chest! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"