Natural Birth

birth plan

Would anyone mind sharing their hospital birth plan?  I'm working on mine now and would love to see what others added to theirs.  My hospital is pretty natural birth friendly, but my doula suggested I have one anyway, just in case.  I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out!  TIA!  

Re: birth plan

• Someone asked this a few posts back and people posted some good examples of different kinds.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/63450009.aspx

• This was the one for my OB:

Birth Plan - luvmyducks

Spouse: Mr. luvmyducks

Due Date: 09/07/2011

Obstetrician: Dr. B, Pediatrician: Dr. B

I trust that my practitioner will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth before deviating from my plan.

Labor Augmentation/Induction

• I do not wish to receive any sort of induction medication at any point unless medically necessary.
    • If medical induction becomes necessary, I prefer to try stripping/rupturing membranes.
    • If NST observation becomes necessary after my due date, I am flexible and support this procedure.

People Present

• Upon arrival at the hospital, I prefer to have my husband with me at all times.
    • I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth.
    • Please do NOT allow [mother] or [grandmother] in my room at any time.
    • Only my husband, and my sisters, [name and name], are allowed in the room during delivery.
    • I do not want any visitors in the room until after skin-to-skin contact and until my husband and I say we are ready.

Labor

• I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
    • I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
    • I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
    • I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.

Monitoring

• I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my baby.  If needed, I would like the wireless monitor so I can move around freely.
    • I do not want an internal monitor unless my baby has shown some sign of distress.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication

• I realize that many pain medications exist. I'll ask for them if I need them.
    • If I ask for pain medication, I will want an intrathecal.

Cesarean

• Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
    • If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
    • I would like my husband present at all times if my baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
    • If my baby is not in distress, my baby should be given to myself or my husband immediately after birth.
    • I wish to remain conscious during a Cesarian.
    • I prefer my hands to be free so I can touch/hold the baby immediately after birth.

Episiotomy

• I trust my doctor to make the right decision about an episiotomy, but I prefer to tear.
    • I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
    • I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.

Delivery

• I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth.
    • I would like my husband and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
    • I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

Immediately After Delivery

• I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
    • I would like to have my husband cut the cord, if he feels up to it.
    • I would like to hold my baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
    • I would like to hold the baby for as long as possible before she is photographed, examined, etc.
    • I plan to keep my baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of my baby can be done with my baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
    • I would like to have my baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
    • If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany my baby at all times.

Postpartum

• Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.

Breastfeeding

• I plan to breastfeed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
    • Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to my baby (including glucose water or plain water).
    • I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier.
    • I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.

Photo/Video

• I would like my sisters, [name and name], to take still photographs/videotape during labor and the birth.

This was the one I brought to the hospital:

luvmyducks and Mr. luvmyducks

Due Date:  09/07/2011 for the birth of our daughter, Kellen

OB:  Dr. B

Ped: Dr. B

Birth Support:  [name], LMT - doula

Sisters, [name and name]

I trust that my practitioner and nurses will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth before deviating from my plan.

I plan a birth without the use of pain medication and without intervention.  If I wish to discuss other options at some point, I will ask, please do not ask me.

I am not expecting or desiring any visitors during my labor and immediately following the birth.  Please be sure that no one is allowed to enter my room, except my husband and listed birth support, until we say we are ready for visitors.

Please keep the lights dim, curtains drawn and the door closed at all times.

Please allow me freedom of movement and the ability to make frequent position changes, keep vaginal checks to a minimum, use intermittent fetal monitoring and if I do need monitoring, please use the telemetry unit.

I want to be upright and chose a body position that feels right to me 

during the pushing stage.

We want the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut.

I plan to breastfeed and appreciate any early support you can give me.  Please put off all meds and bathing for the allotted first hour following birth to give us quiet time.

If for some reason I require a Cesarean birth, I would ask that when my husband leaves to go into the anteroom with our daughter, you allow my doula to come and be with me until he returns so that I am not without one of my birth support people at all times. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is pretty simple and to the point.

Labor

? Please do not offer me pain medication or ask me to rate my pain

? I prefer to have minimal monitoring and vaginal exams

? I prefer not to have any unnecessary medications or interventions

? Please ask me before attempting any kind of intervention (necessary or unnecessary. This includes breaking my water, episiotomy, etc.)

? I would like to avoid an IV or hep-lock

? I prefer to be free of blood pressure cuff between readings

Delivery

? I would like the baby immediately placed on my chest

? I prefer to wait until after the cord has stopped pulsating before it is cut

? I prefer my time with the baby not to be interrupted until after the first feeding

? Please note that in the past I have delivered very fast....my last was crowning as soon as I hit 10cm and they were unable to break down the bed or call the nurses in to assist with the baby after delivery

Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • Thanks so much!  These posts are extremely helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"