Babies: 3 - 6 Months

4 month old only weighs 12 pounds. A little concerned.

I just got on the scale and weighed myself, then weighed me holding the baby. Hubby did the same. When I held her, scale showed she weighed 12lbs. When DH held her, 11.5. 

Im a little concerned. She weighed 8lbs, 9oz at birth. And our other kids are always 50th-90th percentile for weight.

She is exclusively breasted. She rarely spits up, but her stools are often VERY watery. 

She does go for her four month checkup Wednesday.

Any thoughts from you girls?  Shod I be concerned?  How much did your 4 month old weigh?

Thanks! 

Re: 4 month old only weighs 12 pounds. A little concerned.

• DS is not quite 4 months yet, but he weighs 16 pounds and was 9lbs 4oz at birth.  He is also EBF.  Her stools should be watery so don't worry about that.  How much did she weigh at her 2 month checkup?  Weight gain does slow down a little as they get older.  I'd just wait until your appointment and see what the pedi thinks.  She may just be a tiny girl. 

• She weighed 10lbs 8oz at her two month checkup. 
  • Loading the player...
  • DD2 was 11lbs 11oz at 4 months. She was 6lbs at birth, and has never been above 18th percentile for weight. She's healthy, just a little peanut. Her sister was also on the smaller side - 6lbs 11oz at birth and 13.5lbs at 4 months. As long as your little girl is meeting milestones and developing well I wouldn't worry. She may just be settling into her own growth curve now. 
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • LO was 13lbs 11 oz at our 4 mo check up. Our check up was late so she was closer to 4 1/2 months than 4. She was 8 lbs 1 oz when she was born. We had some issues at birth and lost 1 lb before we left the hospital, we continued to have some feeding issues and had a slip at 2 months. The Dr isn't concerned because she is where she needs to be for all her developmental skills at this point. The ped is happy with her progress and her eating habits for now. I can't imagine if LO weighed a lot more than she does. I call her my Princess Pudgies as she is busting out of some of her 6 mo clothes now and carrying her is a workout!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My DD was 12 lbs at her checkup and it was a week late.  Pedi said that she was in the 25th percentile.  She was 6 lbs 2 ozs at birth so she has stayed on her growth curve.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • My DD is 12 lbs but she was only 6 lbs at birth, so she has doubled her birth weight.  She is also EBF and it sure seems like she gets enough to eat, she is growing and the pedi is happy with her.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I wouldn't be concerned unless your pedi seems to be concerned. DS was 8 pounds at birth and was 14 pounds at his 4 month checkup. Dr said he is in the 30th percentile but he is healthy and happy.
  • Your scale is probably not going to be as accurate as a scale at the doctor's office, especially w/respect to the ounces. I wouldn't worry about this until your doctor says to worry about it.  I especially wouldn't worry about it if your baby is peeing an appropriate amount each day.
  • imageNaturalBlond:
    Your scale is probably not going to be as accurate as a scale at the doctor's office, especially w/respect to the ounces. I wouldn't worry about this until your doctor says to worry about it.  I especially wouldn't worry about it if your baby is peeing an appropriate amount each day.

this!

I try weighing myself and then holding DD and it seems to fluctuate so much sometimes that I don't put much accuracy on it

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• I definitely wouldn't worry about it. She's gaining and going to the bathroom regularly, so she's fine.

I EBF as well, DD was 7 lbs 5 oz at birth. At 2 months she was 9 lbs 9 oz. At 12 weeks she was 10 lbs 3 oz. We go in today for her 4 month checkup. I'm assuming she's 12 lbs or very close. My pedi has never been concerned about her weight - she's just small.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I worry a lot about gaining weight too, it's hard not to when you EBF. The scale is not accurate at all. I did this when she was a month old and the scale said she only weighed 8 lbs (her birth weight) took her into the doctors in a panic and she was 9 lbs 15 oz. As long as your doctor is not concerned when you go in, she is hitting her milestones, and having lots if wet diapers you are good to go!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Your pedi will let you know if something seems wrong.  Typically they look to see if baby is following a curve and not veering off of it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • My scale has never been accurate when I've weighed her that way. 

My DD was 8 lbs at birth and 14 lbs 2 oz at her 4 month. That was 70th something percentile for weight. Some babies are big, some are small. As long as she is gaining on a steady pace, I dont think its a problem. If there is a big decline in percentiles from her last appointment then the pedi will investigate further. Like PP said, they chart it and will see if shes off the curve. Try not to stress!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think you will find that your baby it totally okay. First of all, your bathroom scale is not nearly as accurate as the scale they use. I did the same thing as you and it was off by 2 lbs from the doctor's scaled!

My DD was 7lbs 13 oz at birth and 13lbs 2 oz at her 4 month appointment.  She gained 1 lb exactly in 1 month. That was 50% in weight and she is 75% in length.  The doctor said it was absolutely okay. And he also said some months they gain more than others...it all depends on when they are having a growth spurt.

Don't stress...even though I know it is hard not to. 

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• My little guy was 14lbs. 7oz. at his 4 month checkup. Said he was right on track and doing great.
  • LO was 5 lbs 12 oz at birth (6 weeks early). At 4 month appt 1 week early, he weighed 12 lb 1 oz. Pedi is not concerned, he is on the same growth curve as 2 month appt.
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Just had our 4 month checkup and DD weighed 12.08. Doctor was not concerned by any means!! She weighed 6.10 at birth. Pedi said she is just not a large baby...I'm very petite myself, so I'm guessing she will be too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"