High-Risk Pregnancy

Why is GD so hard to figure out :'(

So I had my first week appointment for GD, the nutritionist said I was doing better than 98% of people he has ever treated and my doctor was happy. I had a few fasting numbers that were 98 and 99 but they were ok with it. Then I had 101 and 112 :( All of my numbers after meals are excellent and was even told I could have more carbs. I've tried the snacks that produce good fasting numbers and sometimes the fasting comes out good, other times I get the high reading. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help, I just feel like such a complete failure :(  *Note I cannot include exercise due to bedrest*
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Why is GD so hard to figure out :'(

• You're not doing anything wrong.  Fasting is really hard for a lot of people to control, including me.  I got put on meds because my fasting was out of control.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry to say, there is not much you can do to improve your fasting number. That is the hardest one to control. A bedtime snack can help, but it sounds like you are already doing that.  You may want to talk to your doctor about your concerns, and see if they think you should start meds.  I have been on meds in two pregnancies because my fasting number were a little high.
    m/c 4/4/11 @11w6d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto previous posters. Fasting numbers are so difficult to control. I would eat the same snack each night and some nights they would be high and some they would be in target range. 

The doc ended up putting me on a very low dose of glybuyride at night and it worked wonders. Breathe - it sounds like you are really doing awesome! 

• Thanks ladies :) I guess I'm just getting overwhelmed I've had multiple issues with this pregnancy and even getting pregnant to begin with took 5 years 7 IUIs and luckily just 1 IVF cycle. But my BP has been just over high this whole time, my cervix shortened at 26 weeks and I've been on modified bed rest since then. Plus my husband is in the Army and he was deployed for the IVF and the whole pregnancy until January. Now he's at Bragg for training and I'm just scared and overwhelmed with all the changes with this monitoring... I really do appreciate all the advice, I guess I'm feeling lonely too. We are stationed in Hawaii and I'm so far from family, I hate feeling isolated :( Thanks again
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The reason diabetes in general during pregnancy is hard to figure out is because everyone is different. Everyone has a different biochemistry. I'm a type 1 diabetic and even though I had awesome control earlier, right now it's pretty much unmanagable and not even my Endo can really do much.

Too many people want to think of it as cut and dry, but it's not. There's too many variables in there. Don't feel bad! You are by no means alone. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"