Success after IF

Dog peeing on toys

I guess this is more of a vent than anything...but I am at my wits end. One of our Chihuahuas has been making my life hell since we moved in November. He has been peeing all over the house at night, and more specifically, on any toy he can find. We've even put up a gate to the play room so he can't get in there.

But you know how kids are, there is always some toy that I didn't see before I go to bed, that the damn dog finds and pees all over. UGH! I have thrown out or spent more time cleaning toys than I would like to admit. That darn dog is fixed, he gets attention, of course the kids terrorize him, but other than finding him a new home or retraining him (where would I find the time??) I just don't know what to do. 

Oh, and if I tried to crate him at night no one would get any sleep over the whining, we've tried. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dog peeing on toys

• I'm right there with you but it's cat pee. I through out a toy this morning... 
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Me too, there are days when I seriously have no idea what I am going to do in the long run.  My pugs pee on everything anymore.
    Daycare is SO exhausting!
    Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • ETA: I just saw that this started after you moved - I would definitely talk to your vet about trying something for anxiety because moving is a huge trigger for many animals.  Most of the drugs are on the $4 list at Target, etc.  You can also try Rescue Remedy (the kids' alcohol-free version) at a lot of health food stores.

Have you had him checked for a UTI?  Could he have anxiety issues over something?  Inappropriate elimination is often the result of anxiety (if there isn't another medical reason), and there are medications.  If it happens when you are awake/home, leash him to you at all times and hustle him outdoors as soon as he looks like he is going to pee.  Also, clean the toys and floor/carpet with an enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle, Simple Solutions, gotpee.net) - they'll keep peeing on things that smell like pee, and the enzymatic cleaners are the only way to get rid of the smell.

If and only if he is healthy, gate him in a bathroom, kitchen, somewhere without toys, or put the crate in a room with a fan or white noise as far from the bedrooms as possible.  Start on a Friday night/weekend, and just don't give in and let him out before morning.  

I know all these things sound impossible with kids, but it is better than pee. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagedusk42:
    ETA: I just saw that this started after you moved - I would definitely talk to your vet about trying something for anxiety because moving is a huge trigger for many animals.  Most of the drugs are on the $4 list at Target, etc.  You can also try Rescue Remedy (the kids' alcohol-free version) at a lot of health food stores.

Have you had him checked for a UTI?  Could he have anxiety issues over something?  Inappropriate elimination is often the result of anxiety (if there isn't another medical reason), and there are medications.  If it happens when you are awake/home, leash him to you at all times and hustle him outdoors as soon as he looks like he is going to pee.  Also, clean the toys and floor/carpet with an enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle, Simple Solutions, gotpee.net) - they'll keep peeing on things that smell like pee, and the enzymatic cleaners are the only way to get rid of the smell.

If and only if he is healthy, gate him in a bathroom, kitchen, somewhere without toys, or put the crate in a room with a fan or white noise as far from the bedrooms as possible.  Start on a Friday night/weekend, and just don't give in and let him out before morning.  

I know all these things sound impossible with kids, but it is better than pee. 

all great suggestions. our behavior problems with our dog started after a move too. i would definitely try anti-anxiety meds.

i would also suggest gating him in just one room at night with a nice comfy bed in there, and then you only have to worry about that one room being toy-free.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the commiseration and suggestions.

I think I will talk to our new vet about anti-anxiety meds. He has some other behaviors, like licking his feet, that I've started to get concerned about. I didn't think the peeing could be anxiety, I just thought he was punishing us for having kids;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"