Adoption
Options

New...and nervous

Hi, everyone.  I'm a super newbie...just joined today.  I hope you don't mind if I jump in on the posts.

My husband and I are considering adoption.  We are torn between adoption and TTC our own.  I know I can conceive, but I'm not sure I can ever carry to term.  I was found to have Factor V Leiden, a blood clotting gene mutation that caused my first miscarriage a little less than a year ago.  It emotionally tore me to pieces...still have baby clothes hanging in my closet.  I know plenty of women with this gene mutation have gone on to deliver healthy babies, but I had many medical complications after the miscarriage for months that may suggest another pregnancy would certainly be high risk.  I'm nervous about my health if we want to TTC again...so I'm very hesitant to go that route.  At the same time, the thought of giving a child in need of a loving home is exhilarating.  I'm just not sure what we will decide our next step will be.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here.  I know nothing about the adoption process, so maybe I shouldn't just jump right in and post something...but that's just my personality.  :)

I wanted to see if anyone had one really good piece of advice for me on where to start finding some information on adoption.  There's so much to think about, and I truly know nothing except my husband and I want to give a child a life filled with love.  So...where is a good place to begin?

Thanks for reading my rambling.  I look forward to getting to know you better.

xo

Re: New...and nervous

• Options
    CheleChele member
    Hi and welcome. There's an FAQ link up at the top of this board, which may help you get started.
    10/27/07
  • Options

Bahahaha...see what I mean about being a newbie?  Thanks, Chele.  :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi and welcome!!! As the other poster said the F&Q portion is an awesome resource for adoption and to questions you may have. I am sorry about your miscarriage and the health issues that you will have when TTC.

When my DH and I first looked into adoption I googled EVERYTHING from the different types of adoption there are to different agencies. I also had several agencies send me pamplets and information packets in the mail and my DH and I went through them together. Then we "courted" a couple of agencies to see which one we felt most comfortable with. We love our agency and it took us about two years to find the agency and type of adoption that we wanted before we where ready to officially sign.   GOOD LUCK to you and your DH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for your response! 

Can I ask what agency you went with...or at least the type of agency you chose?  (Don't want you to feel like you have to give me too personal of details.)

• Options
    imageABabyMakes3:

Thanks for your response! 

Can I ask what agency you went with...or at least the type of agency you chose?  (Don't want you to feel like you have to give me too personal of details.)

Welcome to the board!  Learning about adoption can be overwhelming at first, but just try and take it one step at a time.  We decided to go with a small faith-based agency (Catholic Charities of Dallas) and are pursuing an open domestic infant adoption.  There are lots of different ways to adopt, so I'd suggest researching all of them and then taking some time to decide what's the best fit for your family. :)  GL with everything!

• Options

Thank you for sharing!

Yes, I am so overwhelmed.  I like the taking "baby steps" idea.  Looking at the big picture is super intimidating. 

Good luck to you with your adoption!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"