Military Families
Options

Military Cuts Question

Has anyone heard of where they'll be making their proposed cuts in the military? Like will certain MOS's be effected more so then others? DH is just going in as an E-3, and I've heard one of the ways they'll make cuts is cutting people who don't make rank in an appropriate time. I'm just nervous that we just finally made the jump to do this and then with the thought of cuts it makes me nervous that his military career could for some reason be cut way shorter then planned. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Military Cuts Question

• Options
    He won't have to worry about it until his first term of enlistment comes up(mostly likely). They're going to get their money out of him first.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options

I'm not sure if this is every where but at our base, they have been cutting anyone who has gotten violations. Such as; DUI's, written up for something at work, not passing PT tests on the first try, speeding tickets, etc. My husband's shop alone lost about 10 people since January. 

Also if the proposal for TriCare goes through (not sure it will, BUT) then they will save lots of money by making us pay for parts of our insurance.

But again who knows what will happen til it DOES happen. 

IMG_4833 IMG_0119 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The types of cuts that I have seen are Marines (not sure your husband's branch) getting kicked out for violations (DUI, hazing, etc.) when they would have been just punished for that same violation before.

It probably has more to do with reenlistment contracts.

• Options
    Ooh, Bump Burp.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageAirmans Wife:

I'm not sure if this is every where but at our base, they have been cutting anyone who has gotten violations. Such as; DUI's, written up for something at work, not passing PT tests on the first try, speeding tickets, etc. My husband's shop alone lost about 10 people since January. 

Also if the proposal for TriCare goes through (not sure it will, BUT) then they will save lots of money by making us pay for parts of our insurance.

But again who knows what will happen til it DOES happen. 

I've seen this too (Army). A soldier gets a DUI and gets kicked out whereas a few years ago, he would have just gotten an Article 15. Same thing for not passing a PT test or height and weight or getting caught with drugs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

They are definitely cutting violators here as well. DUI, failed drug test, failed PT test, and you are out. We are also see more higher ranking people worried about their jobs. When you think about it cutting one officer would be like cutting two lower enlisted. There are a couple of high ranking pilots here worried they'll get cut because they have some hard landings and such on their records.

It looks like they might be looking at a persons records. Like have they been deploying? We've seen some deployment dodgers get the boot. (I'm talking people who've been in 17 years and never deployed because they keep applying to schools and things to purposely not deploy) Also do they have DUIs and failed PT tests on their past record? Have they made promotions in a timely manner? 

I know some MOS's are limiting their re-enlistment numbers but it seems to vary widely. The few people we've seen not be able to re-enlist as their current MOS have been able to re up as a different MOS so they still have a secure job. I would try not to worry too much. As long as your husband is working hard and doesn't get into trouble he should be fine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Moral of the story, work hard and don't get in trouble and you should be fine. 
  • Options

imagej_twitchell:
    Thanks guys! Moral of the story, work hard and don't get in trouble and you should be fine. 

Yes and no, they've flat out said that some soldiers that deserve to stay in will still be cut.  A lot of the cuts (at least Army ones) are coming from combat MOS' like your Infantryman, Cav Scouts, etc.  Combat support roles (MI, Med) are taking fewer cuts, but they're still taking them.  I suppose the rationale is that the support roles are more necessary in peacetime than boots on the ground types are.  PT/Height/Weight failures are going, anyone with too many Article 15s on their records, anyone with drug convictions, anyone who's been found guilty of a federal offense, anyone who's NCOer has too low a score in certain areas, those who are not trying to get promoted...  Pretty much anything they can think of to kick you out for, they're working on.  One my husband's NCOs was also saying they're talking about those who are on permanent profiles as being next after all the PT test failures.  Your rank/ETS date does not matter.  They are going after the guys with more rank first, they cost more, but don't think that being junior enlisted is going to keep you from getting cut because it's just not true.  Of the four or five guys my husband works with that are getting kicked out right now every single one is below E4.  Reenlistment windows will also start way earlier than previously and be much shorter. 

They are saying that some people in over strength MOS' will be given the chance to reclass to one that's under strength, but it doesn't sound like it's a guarantee that it will be an option.  They're trying really hard to make these cuts and it doesn't sound like the next couple years are going to be pretty.  Something I don't understand is why in the hell they're cutting all these soldiers, but they still have contractors that make three times as much as they do in their employ!  Just seems like an awfully stupid move to me.  Not that I disagree with cutting the ones that aren't good soldiers, but the ones that deserve to stay?  That part I can't like. 

• Options

imagej_twitchell:

This. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageRelativeChaos00:

imagej_twitchell:

Yes and no, they've flat out said that some soldiers that deserve to stay in will still be cut.  A lot of the cuts (at least Army ones) are coming from combat MOS' like your Infantryman, Cav Scouts, etc.  Combat support roles (MI, Med) are taking fewer cuts, but they're still taking them.  I suppose the rationale is that the support roles are more necessary in peacetime than boots on the ground types are.  PT/Height/Weight failures are going, anyone with too many Article 15s on their records, anyone with drug convictions, anyone who's been found guilty of a federal offense, anyone who's NCOer has too low a score in certain areas, those who are not trying to get promoted...  Pretty much anything they can think of to kick you out for, they're working on.  One my husband's NCOs was also saying they're talking about those who are on permanent profiles as being next after all the PT test failures.  Your rank/ETS date does not matter.  They are going after the guys with more rank first, they cost more, but don't think that being junior enlisted is going to keep you from getting cut because it's just not true.  Of the four or five guys my husband works with that are getting kicked out right now every single one is below E4.  Reenlistment windows will also start way earlier than previously and be much shorter. 

They are saying that some people in over strength MOS' will be given the chance to reclass to one that's under strength, but it doesn't sound like it's a guarantee that it will be an option.  They're trying really hard to make these cuts and it doesn't sound like the next couple years are going to be pretty.  Something I don't understand is why in the hell they're cutting all these soldiers, but they still have contractors that make three times as much as they do in their employ!  Just seems like an awfully stupid move to me.  Not that I disagree with cutting the ones that aren't good soldiers, but the ones that deserve to stay?  That part I can't like. 

So how do you explain a current $40k reenlistment bonus?  Becase that's what's being offered to 11B right now. 

There are a lot of MOSs being cut down right now.  MPs are one of them.  The unit I just left went from being under manned by 50% to being told we were over by 200% in less than a month.  We were told most of us would either be asked not to re-enlist or would be asked to reclass.  I chose not to reenlist even before they asked.  I'd rather my spot stay open for someone who doesn't have the knee issues I have.  I was called a month ago and offered a large bonus to come back.  No thanks. 

From what I've seen, it's problem people who aren't being given anymore chances.  People who have issues passing PT tests, people who have issues with weight and tape, people with criminal records, people who are considered "failure to adapt", people who have issues ranking up.  It's basically cleaning house.  It's an ebb and flow that happens every so often.  As soon as something else happens, they'll be begging people to join again.  I give it 5 years. 

• Options

imageMackalien13:
    They have plenty of slackers and soldiers that have messed up to cut first. If they were expecting to cut your husband shortly, they wouldn't have taken his enlistment.

Ha. Recruiters still need numbers/enlistments, they'd still bring him in.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options
    As far as getting booted if you don't pick up in a certain amount of time, that's been the rule for as long as I can remember. If I recall correctly, a friend of DH's got kicked out a few years ago because he had 11 or 13 years in as a SGT. His SSGT was booted because he hadn't picked up Gunny by 20 years. Look at the pay chart. When you stop getting raises, you've been at that rank for too long.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Totally depends on the branch of service and the individual's personal situation.  Easiest thing would be to talk to a SNCO he trusts -- or a personnelist in whatever branch of the service he's in. 
  • Options

My husband is in the Marines and we have heard of these cutes for about the last year or so. When he re enlisted they only offered him a 2 year contract because he got NJP back as a private. I have also heard of being let go because of DUI, and not making a certain rank my a certain time period. 

They are making it harder and harder to get in as well as stay in. I am worried that after this 2 year contract he may not get DI because of being involved in a hazing incident. Which I am sorry if no on agrees..I think is a joke. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"