Military Families
Options

Tax Question- Extension

I have a question that I was hoping one of you might be able to help me with. My DH is deployed and I wanted to make sure that we don't have to file any paperwork or pay anything to get an extension to file and pay taxes. Its my understanding that it is automatic- we get 180 days from tax day to file, plus any days he was deployed since Jan 1 to tax day. I guess I'm a little uncomfortable with the whole "automatic" thing; I feel like I'm supposed to file some sort of paperwork to request an extension.

I'm going to talk to the tax people here on base tomorrow but I just wanted to see if anyone on here had an idea. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP February 2011; DD born October 15, 2011
CP: December 2012
Miscarriage: February 2013
Blighted Ovum: July 2013

Re: Tax Question- Extension

• Options
    I am pretty sure it's just 180 days altogether. Whenever I was deployed during tax season that is the number they told us, I never heard of them including extra days just for being deployed since Jan. 1, before tax day. That is the whole reason for the extension because they know he wasn't there at all before tax time.
  • Options

Anyone can file for an extension and receivers an extension until October without question. 

Since you're here you have to file the extension before April 15th. They give you an automatic extension until October (as stated above). 

If he were single and deployed or if you were both deployed he could have an exception when he returns but would need to call the IRS directly, and that isn't written anywhere. 

You do not need to send in any paperwork just go onto www.irs.gov and file. Print out the filing for your records if you feel uneasy or have to show anyone. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm confused though because this what I found on the IRS website:

Tax Extensions for Overseas Deployment

If you are serving overseas during tax filing season, you are automatically granted a 2-month tax extension ? with no paperwork required and no tax payments or penalties assessed. If you need more than two months to file your return, you can e-file IRS Form 4868 onlineusing the FileLater system and get an income tax extension until October.

This tax extension is designed for personnel serving in non-combat areas. If you are deployed in a combat zone, or you move to a combat zone (from a non-combat area) while overseas, see the section below.

Tax Extensions for Combat Zone Service

If you are currently serving in the U.S. military or you have recently served in a combat zone, you have additional options for tax extensions. You are allowed a tax extension that is equivalent to the following:

• The amount of time you serve in a combat zone before taxes are due
    • Any time you spent continually hospitalized due to injuries sustained in a combat zone (up to 5 years)
    • 180 days in addition to the two time periods listed above

This extension includes the time for tax preparation you would have had if you weren't serving overseas. For example, if you deployed on March 1, you would earn a 226-day tax extension (180 days for the automatic extension, plus the 46 days between March 1 and April 15).

During the tax extension period, no penalties or interest will be assessed on your taxes. This extension applies to any and all taxes due ? whether from income, investments, capital gains, or other sources.

The extension of time to file also applies to spouses of military members deployed to combat zones. On the other hand, if a family is owed tax refunds and wants to get money back immediately, the spouse back home can file tax returns on behalf of the deployed soldier.

-------------------------------------

So why would I have to file our taxes if it applies to me as well?

ETA: He is in a combat zone.

BFP February 2011; DD born October 15, 2011
    CP: December 2012
    Miscarriage: February 2013
    Blighted Ovum: July 2013
  • Options
    Just call the Legal Department on your base and ask them what the policy is, they should know.
  • Options
    imagebarefootandboots:

I'm confused though because this what I found on the IRS website:

Tax Extensions for Overseas Deployment

If you are serving overseas during tax filing season, you are automatically granted a 2-month tax extension ? with no paperwork required and no tax payments or penalties assessed. If you need more than two months to file your return, you can e-file IRS Form 4868 onlineusing the FileLater system and get an income tax extension until October.

This tax extension is designed for personnel serving in non-combat areas. If you are deployed in a combat zone, or you move to a combat zone (from a non-combat area) while overseas, see the section below.

Tax Extensions for Combat Zone Service

If you are currently serving in the U.S. military or you have recently served in a combat zone, you have additional options for tax extensions. You are allowed a tax extension that is equivalent to the following:

• The amount of time you serve in a combat zone before taxes are due
    • Any time you spent continually hospitalized due to injuries sustained in a combat zone (up to 5 years)
    • 180 days in addition to the two time periods listed above

This extension includes the time for tax preparation you would have had if you weren't serving overseas. For example, if you deployed on March 1, you would earn a 226-day tax extension (180 days for the automatic extension, plus the 46 days between March 1 and April 15).

During the tax extension period, no penalties or interest will be assessed on your taxes. This extension applies to any and all taxes due ? whether from income, investments, capital gains, or other sources.

The extension of time to file also applies to spouses of military members deployed to combat zones. On the other hand, if a family is owed tax refunds and wants to get money back immediately, the spouse back home can file tax returns on behalf of the deployed soldier.

-------------------------------------

So why would I have to file our taxes if it applies to me as well?

ETA: He is in a combat zone.

You can go with this or call the IRS at:

Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
    Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040

Hours of Operation: Monday ? Friday, 7:00 a.m. ? 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

The reason I say file the extension is because if you call the IRS and tell them you're stateside and he is deployed the IRS CAN (emphasize CAN) request that you file.  The above addresses ONLY the person that is deployed NOT the spouse. Having dealt with taxes for the last 15 years with a BS degree in accounting I promise you can't make this up.

Another thought, Since he is deployed you should have access to all of his tax forms (W2) playing devil's advocate the IRS may ask you what is preventing the stateside spouse from filing? I can't imagine that he has many work expenditures being deployed that won't be reimbursed to cause you to file a lengthy 2106. 

I wouldn't call the legal office on base as each soldier/sailor/marine/airman have had different outcomes since all tax situations are different as well as they can't really "speak" for the IRS. 

Give them a call. It can't hurt and if you need to file an extension they can walk you through it if you aren't sure how to complete one. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"