Infertility

Ovarian cysts after failed injectibles cycle. Failed trigger?

Hi, I  am 30 and have PCOS. We have been ttc for just over 3 years. We did our first injectibles cycle in Dec. It failed b/c my body forced ovulation before the follicles were big enough (normally, I NEVER ovulate on my own!)  I took January off b/c of a large cyst.  

We just did another injectible cycle (added ganirelix), and it also failed. This time, the scans showed lots of left over cysts, with 6 being fairly large. My ovaries are so large right now, that they are touching each other. They tested to make sure that I had blood flow through my ovaries, but warned me that I was at high risk for Ovarian Torsion.  I am not in much pain right now, but I had tons of terrible pain during my 2ww. I assumed this was from the meds, but now I'm worried that I'm not actually ovulating with the trigger shot. How do you know if you have ovulated, and are the large cysts due to continued follicle growth instead of ovulation?  

So frustrating.  

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Ovarian cysts after failed injectibles cycle. Failed trigger?

• If you have cysts, I would think it would indicate you ovulated. The cysts are what happens when the follicle releases an egg and then collapses on itself with fluid still trapped inside. 

What size were your follicles at trigger? There is such a large range for follicle size and success, I wouldn't necessarily say that is why your cycle failed. Are you doing IUI or TI? 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • All 3 times I've done injectables (follistim) I've had a cyst or two afterwards - but also know I ovulated. I think the PP is right about the cyst is the excess fluid trapped after release. Sorry yours are so big. Are they going to put you on BCP to control them or just let them fade on their own.

Mine always faded within a month on their own.

Good luck.

BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMelleTX:

If you have cysts, I would think it would indicate you ovulated. The cysts are what happens when the follicle releases an egg and then collapses on itself with fluid still trapped inside. 

What size were your follicles at trigger? There is such a large range for follicle size and success, I wouldn't necessarily say that is why your cycle failed. Are you doing IUI or TI? 

This is how I understand it too. I used injectables for both of my IUI cycles and after the first one, also got a really big cyst.

This is common for women with PCOS, unfortunately. Like OP said, failing an IUI cycle is common even if you have a "perfect" cycle. The chances are still only around 25% that it will work.

Why do you think you did not ovulate? I haven't heard of a trigger shot not working and normally doctors don't tell you to use it until your follies are mature. They are usually only looking for 1 or 2 dominant/mature follicles rather than tons of small ones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Thank you for replying! You ladies made me feel so much better. I assumed, ignorantly, that the cysts were left over follicles that simply continued to grow. I did not realize that they were the left overs after ovulation. The doctor had me do the trigger when I had a 16.5, a three 14's.  The nurse told me that I had the cysts b/c I had gotten so many follicles. I just didn't understand. Phew.

I guess I've just been worried b/c of the pain during the 2ww, and the warnings I've been given now for the torsion risk.  I know that injectibles do not have a high success rate. We did timed intercourse the first 2 rounds, and we are now moving on the IUI.  We will do three rounds with IUI and if we still do not get a positive we will have to decide whether or not to continue treatment. Our insurance covers injectibles, but not IVF.  

We are also currently going through an international adoption, so if it looks like we have to do IVF, I may just put it on hold and focus on the adoption.

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"