Working Moms

Any moms work nights?

I just transitioned to working a relief shift at work. I am a police officer but I was lucky enough to get to keep the desk job assignment I worked at my department while pregnant. They needed someone to fill in the relief position so I volunteered. I work a couple days of 2p-10p and then a few days of 10p-6a. Tonight is only my second overnight shift but it is killing me. Any advice? I didn't get much sleep when I came home this morning. I was home all day with my 3 year old DD and 2 month old DS while DH was at work.  This is really rough............any moms in the same boat?

Re: Any moms work nights?

• yes... and it sucks.  I work 12 hr nights... really with commute time am gone from 6p to 8a...   I worked Fri, Sat, Sun, and Tuesday nights (I do 2 a week, but wanted tonight off, usually work Fri/Sats).  UGH!  I get no sleep!  DH has gotten better about letting me sleep some on Sat.. but really, I only get 4 - 6 hrs on Sats... if I can ... Monday, I got no nap after working all night Sun night... Tuesday, I didn't get much of a nap before work, only dc naptime (maybe 2 or 3 hrs)... then no nap on Wed... actually, I napped for the 40 minute drive to bring dh to work... (he drove)... I was miserable... I just started working nights routinely in august... it has completely messed up my sleep cycle. I feel like I never sleep anymore... not good.  not good at all.  I just pray I can manage until I can get both kids into preschool full time at dh's college (he gets 1/2 off since he's a professor... but they don't take kids until they are 2yr and 3 months). 

good luck!  

• My husband does. He works Thursday through Saturday, 10 hour shifts. He watches DD during the week, Monday through Friday, with the occasional weekend thrown-in. He has a difficult time switching his days and nights. We've been doing this since February because we cannot afford daycare...
  • Loading the player...
  • Me. I am at work right now. :)

I do two night shifts a week, Fri & Sat. Fridays I have daycare, so I can sometimes catch a nap before work, although it is way more productive to clean my house and do laundry, grocery shop, etc. sans children. On Saturdays, like HaloRN, I sleep from 9am-1 or 2pm, then see my hubby and kids, shower, make dinner for them, and head back to work. On Sundays, I try to only sleep from 9am-noon, get up to spend time with everyone, and am usually in bed by 9pm on Sunday nights. It is a miserable time in our house on Sundays--I am tired, and crabby and sick of picking up my messy house after DH has been home all weekend. DH is tired, crabby, and fed up with the kids/house/going back to work on Monday. We are trying to suck it up until after DS #2 is in preschool next year.

• Me!  I work 4p-midnight (and beyond if necessary) Monday thru Friday from my house.  I chose this shift so I could be home with DD during the day, but it can be tough.  I try to nap in the afternoon but if DD doesnt nap, I am out of luck!  I am often tired and crabby, but we got someone to clean the house because I was fed up being a maid and working full time and MH not appreciating all that I have to handle during the day.  We're hoping to get to kindergarten with this before I think of another career, but we'll see.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"