Cloth Diapering
Options

How to treat ammonia burns?

DS stays in the same CD for about 10 hours and since we bedshare he eats a few times a night so he pees a lot but I don't usually have to deal ammonia burns, if we do they are light and go away after just a couple changes. This morning when we woke up he was bright red in all the area where the wet cloth was touching hin skin (because in the creases of the legs and his bum was fine). I've been applying lots of CJ's butter since I read that as opposed to a rash a burn needs to be covered and well moisturized. No blisters or anything but the skin is tomato red.

1, how do I treat his skin and 2, does it mean I have a build up problem and need to strip? TIA

Re: How to treat ammonia burns?

• Options
    Coconut oil and more coconut oil...its a miracle worker, it'll be gone withing a few diaper changes.  My son had this reaction a while back and it cleared right up with coconut oil :) GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

• Options
    I throw this out there because we had a similar situation that I thought was caused by the diaper, but was in fact because I had added a new acidic food to DD's diet. Strawberries. I've heard of it happening with other acidic fruits too. Definitely use the coconut oil and possibly strip your diapers. But if it's persists after that I'd definitely take into consideration what LO is eating. I'm assuming at 9 mos. he's getting some solids. Just another possibility to consider. I was at my wits end after 2 weeks of persistent burn-like rash. No fun for baby or mama.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you're getting ammonia burns, you definitely need to do something, whether it be strip with Dawn, tons of hot rinses, or bleach. I use baking soda in the initial rinse to keep the ammonia stinkies away. I also use a fleece liner with my overnight fitteds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"