Cloth Diapering

Trash can - should be so easy!

Sorry for this trivial question. For the diaper pail, I just want a regular trash can with foot pedal, but with holes in the top to allow aeration. This does not seem to exist. I'd rather avoid plastic, and all the steel cans I've seen seal up tight when you close them. I'm feeling a little silly obsessing about trash cans, but I'd like to avoid stink and not pay $100! Anyone have any suggestions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Trash can - should be so easy!

• If you or your DH are crafty, you could drill holes in the top if you really want a metal can with holes? Otherwise, I haven't seen one quite like you're describing...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't seen one like that either :(  I honestly NEVER have stink...but I wash every 1-2 days.  I just use the hanging diaper pails from Fuzzibunz and they are awesome, especially since they have that zipper at the bottom :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I got a generic plastic trash can with a lid.  The fact of the matter is that it's going to stink whether or not you let it air.  It's holding poop and pee after all.  As long as I wash every 2 or 3 days, it doesn't start stinking up the room.  I can always leave the top open if I want to air them for a little while.  This is just my opinion though as I really see no need to air them out right now.  Then again, I'm still in the newborn stage where his poop really doesn't stink too bad yet.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • I really didn't want plastic either but I didn't want to spend a ton on a metal trashcan.  We just got a cheap plastic one with a flip lid which we leave open all the time.  I noticed it smelled more when we left the lid closed.
  • imageavalovesart:
    If you or your DH are crafty, you could drill holes in the top if you really want a metal can with holes? Otherwise, I haven't seen one quite like you're describing...

This is what I think you might end up having to do. 

If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok, thanks for the input - sounds like I'll have to rethink what I'm looking for. Gah! I'm tired of thinking about trash cans, lol. I think having a baby is bringing out some ocd in me.
  • If it's just about the look, you could spray paint (or ask DH to spray paint) a plastic pail to match the decor.

If you're worried about plastic holding smells, it hasn't been an issue for me. I just have a cheap black plastic step can. I like the 8 gallon size, as once it's full that's as big as a wash load should be anyway.

• We just leave the lid open.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"