1st Trimester
Options

Too sick to take pre-natal vitamins

Hello,

I'm 9 weeks along and have been experiencing awful nausea - all day long - since week 5. My Dr. perscribed me some pre-natal vitamins to be taking but I've been to ill, I haven't been able to take them. 

I go to see my Dr. again next week, but I'm very nervous - I know these vitamins are very important to the baby's development, but I just can't stomach these large pills twice a day. Have I hurt my unborn baby? :(

Re: Too sick to take pre-natal vitamins

• Options
    Try taking them at night. That is the only way I have been able to keep mine down. My Dr told me to try this and see if it helped. No you have not hurt the baby. Lots of women have been in your shoes and their babies were fine. Just relax and talk to the Dr and see what he recommends.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Taking them at night really does make a difference. As soon as I started taking them at night, I felt so much better.

And... not every woman takes prenatals so I wouldn't worry that you've harmed your baby. According to my OB, prenatals supplement the mothers viatmins rather than the babies. LO gets what LO needs as long as you are in general taking care of yourself.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try taking them at night and/or changing the brand.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I started taking the gummy prenatals from Target, as my OB told me that that is what she took during her pregnancy. They don't have iron though. They are super easy to stomach and taste delish. I also had problems witht the horse pills so I switched to these. Sometimes I take another type called Perfect Prenatal available at health food stores and it is 3 times per day, small tablet, and food-based.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

The vitamins prescribed by your doc probably contain iron.  Yes, in theory, that's a good thing to have for a pregnant woman.  BUT, they can make you nauseated even without morning sickness!

I second the PP's rec for the prenatal gummies.  They have all of the most important stuff--namely, folic acid--and they're much easier on a tender stomach.  Taking them at night helps, too! 

• Options

I literally take mine as I'm falling asleep so they will not bother me. Maybe try this? Or munch on something as you take them?

• Options
    Switching brands worked for me.  Also if you nausea is that bad you can call the doctor and ask for a prescription for anti nausea meds.  I took them during the first trimester with my son because I couldn't work since I was so nausea.
  • Options
    Dont stress! Its more important that you stay hydrated and eat then take vitamins. I havent taken  mine at all this pregnancy cause vomiting causes dehyration which is very dangerous to the fetus.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"