Toddlers: 24 Months+

Ovarian cyst while pregnant

I went for our first ultrasound today and baby looks great due date is right on track. 

While they were lookin' at the rest of my parts they noticed a solid spot on an ovary.  She said it looks like a endometrioma (I have no history of endometriosis) or a teratoma (which is totally wierd) I'm having another ultrasound in 4 weeks to get a better idea of what it is.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this.  I'm kinda freaking out a little.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ovarian cyst while pregnant

• I've had cysts before my pregnancies and inbetween them. The pregnancy hormone shrinks them until they're gone. Mine always return tho.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have PCOS so I have always had cysts.  I did have a pretty decent one during my pregnancy.  They just kept an eye on it and were more afraid it would rupture while I was pregnant.  It wouldn't hurt the baby at all, but my dr was afraid it would freak me out because I had miscarried my previous pregnancy.

It did allow me more ultrasounds than normal and I got to see the baby more :)

GL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • was it a doctor telling you this or a tech? My doctor said that early in pregnancy an ovarian cyst is normal.  Check out this link under the question What is I notice some cramping the question explains the purpose of the cyst 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a cyst on my right ovary that they discovered when i was pregnant with DD.  It never grew in size, but they suspected that i may have had it for quite some time and never noticed.  They monitored it at every visit, i had an u/s for most of the visits and it never grew in size. We made the decision to just have it removed since it wasn't going away and they wanted to make sure it wasn't cancerous. It didn't cause me any pain and so about 3 months after delivering DD, they had it removed and they couldn't save the ovary.   But, i'm pregnant with #2, so it obviously didn't impact my fertility.  I wouldn't stress out to much about it, most of the time it'll go away. Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • They found a teratoma on my ovary during my 20 week ultrasound with my first daughter.  If you google it, it's a fairly gross cyst.  I won't go into detail here but it's pretty gross. These will not go away on their own, nor will they get any smaller.  They usually have to be removed. 

Mine was on the small side and they just monitored it throughout the pregnancy.  The main risks are that it will cause the ovary to twist on itself.  If this happens emergency surgery is required.  The highest risk for twisting is in the first trimester when things are shifting around a lot.  

The cyst I had didn't cause any problems during pregnancy.  I had it removed about 9 months after DD#1 was born (after I was done nursing).  They were able to remove it and keep the ovary intact.  It's had no impact on my fertility after the surgery.  I've had two kids since with no problems conceiving.  

I remember being freaked out about it but it turned out to be a non-issue for me.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"