High-Risk Pregnancy

Diagnosed with GD @ 35 weeks

I was diagnosed with GD today at 35.5 weeks.  I feel completely overwhelmed by this news.  My OB's office had NO information for me about it (no packets/pamphlets/papers), so I am waiting to get a call from the diabetes center at the hospital (should call tomorrow).  I feel totally CLUELESS!  I picked up my glucometer & test strips, but don't know anything about when I am supposed to test, what my numbers should be, what I should be eating.... I'm kind of scared to eat anything.

Was anyone else diagnosed this late?  I'm worried about how late diagnosis will effect my daughter.  Any tips? Can anyone recommend a website? TIA!

imageimage
m/c '08 DS born 8-13-09 2 m/c in '11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diagnosed with GD @ 35 weeks

• Honestly if you were tested earlier and not diagnosed, but then tested again now and diagnosed, I think it'll be fine. It's the effect of high numbers over a long period of time (like months) that is the trouble.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imagejuliane2004:
    Honestly if you were tested earlier and not diagnosed, but then tested again now and diagnosed, I think it'll be fine. It's the effect of high numbers over a long period of time (like months) that is the trouble.

Thank you for your reply. So a month or two of high numbers probably isn't a cause for concern?  I passed the 1 hour test around 25/26 weeks.  At my last growth scan (getting those because of low PAPP-A), she had jumped up in percentile by quite a bit. They were estimating she gained 3lbs in 4 weeks, so they had me do the 3 hour test. 

imageimage
    m/c '08 DS born 8-13-09 2 m/c in '11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you have to deal with this for the last 4 weeks!

I was diagnosed around 28 weeks and have been managing my numbers through diet and walking 2 miles about 3-4 times a week.

At first I was terrified to eat anything and overanalyzed everything that went in my mouth. The things that have been working for me are increasing protein everytime I eat and steering clear of sweets, juices, & basically everything that could be questionable. Pepperidge farms has "carb-style" bread that comes out to 5g of carbs a serving. I can eat two pieces (with protein) and my numbers are still low.

Good luck! Stay active and that will definitely help!

• imagejustmeardle:

imagejuliane2004:
    Honestly if you were tested earlier and not diagnosed, but then tested again now and diagnosed, I think it'll be fine. It's the effect of high numbers over a long period of time (like months) that is the trouble.

Thank you for your reply. So a month or two of high numbers probably isn't a cause for concern?  I passed the 1 hour test around 25/26 weeks.  At my last growth scan (getting those because of low PAPP-A), she had jumped up in percentile by quite a bit. They were estimating she gained 3lbs in 4 weeks, so they had me do the 3 hour test. 

With type 1 diabetes, as I have, I am not allowed to go past 38.5 weeks and in fact both my kids were born at 36 weeks. So for me, the fact that you are 35.5 weeks, to me, seems like you'll give birth very soon and the last 2-3 weeks of highish numbers aren't going to be the worst thing in the world.

Also, I know with GD, they consider "high" to be like 140, where as I consider "high" to be 200+. What I mean to say is that I don't even consider those "140 / high" numbers to be that high.

However, ask your doctor, do what they tell you to do, but don't worry too much. You can't go back in time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"