3rd Trimester

Pertussis Vaccine

Hey everyone.  I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me...

I started doing some research online about pertussis vaccine (after seeing the commercials on tv), which eventually led me to the cdc website, where I found a recommendation statement from October 2011, which states that pregnant women who are not current on the Tdap vaccine (i.e., have not gotten within 10 years), should ideally receive the vaccine during pregnancy.

I asked my doc about this and she was like "oh....during pregnancy?.....no.....ummmm.....you should probably get one.....uh.....after you deliver".  She sounded like she was pretty unsure about the whole thing like I was the first person who has ever asked about it or something. 

So I'm just curious to see what others' docs are telling them about the pertussis vaccine.  Are you getting one or did you already get one while pregnant?  Are you getting one after delivery? 

PS - Im not looking for peoples' opinions on why they don't like vaccines - I just want to follow the standard protocol.  Thanks!

Re: Pertussis Vaccine

• I haven't talked to my doctor about this yet but all the reading that I have done says we should get it after we deliver.
    image image image image image image image image
  • Yes, after the problem is if you have whopping cough your infant can die.  After delivery they usually ask in the hospital.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • They've only recently started recommending it for pregnant women in their third or late second trimesters.  I got mine before getting pregnant with baby #1, so I'm current right now.  You can wait and get it in the hospital if you're concerned, but doing it during pregnancy will pass the antibodies on to your baby so they're more protected at birth.  Make sure your H gets vaccinated too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had mine done in the hospital after I delivered.  My doctor did tell me that there is some new research that recommends that women get it while they are pregnant but I still got mine afterwards.  Also make sure anyone that is going to be a care giver (your SO) also gets it.  My DH went to his primary dr and they gave it to him there before the baby was born, same with my mom, MIL, and FIL.
  • The protocol has recently changed due to the upswing in whopping cough in the last couple of years. 

It is totally safe and fine to get the TDAP (Tetanus, Diptheria and Acellular Pertussis) booster while pregnant. Since the virus is so deadly for young children AND most children get the virus from their care giver (aka MOM) it is better for you to be innoculated before delivery.  However, if you have not received the booster beforehand, you can get it at the hospital when you deliver.

The CDC is recommending that all adults get them every 10 years. However, most adults do not stay current on their vaccinations and only update their tetanus shot afer having some sort of an accident.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Your OB should talk to you about this. Since you are pregnant you will get after you deliver (most give it before you leave the hospital). My husband just had his booster. The grandparents are getting their shots as well (b/c they will be around the baby in the beginning and it is recommended for 65+ and older). Anyone that will be in contact with your baby for prolong time (not just a quick visit) should really get it. 

Whooping cough is on the rise and fatal for an infant.  Insist that you get the booster after you deliver and before you leave the hospital. It's really important. I'm surprise your doc didn't seem to endorse it. Plus you get the other boosters with it (tetanus/diphtheria). It's all in one shot. Eventually your baby will get the vaccine as well. 

• imagetheresat858:

It is only in the past year or so that they have started giving the vaccine to pregnant women - although I would question any doctor who isn't on top of the research enough to know this.

It is very important that you get it before bringing LO home from the hospital, whether that is while you are PG or immediately after delivery.

DH and I got ours before we started TTC.  You should also make sure that any family members who will be in close contact with the baby are up to date on the vaccine. 

I know!  I like my doc but this worries me a bit.  She sounded unsure about whether or not I should have it at all.  I have an appt tomorrow so I'm going to print out the CDC recommendations and bring them with me.     

• TDaP isn't a live vaccine, but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable getting it during pregnancy. Just my personal preference.

Your baby will get a 4 phase schedule of the DTaP starting usually starting at 2mo, then 4 mo , then 6 mo and the final dose at around 15- 18 mo.

I'm getting another TDaP after birth even though I have one been recently - just 2 years ago. Immunity from the vaccine wanes over time...between 4-12 years.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I had DS in June 2010 the nurse practically made me get it before she would discharge me....that was the first I had heard of it.
  • P.s. have you ever had a DTaP or TDap vaccine? If you read the CDC guidelines it states during pregnancy if you have not ever been vaccinated. Chances are if you attended schooling the United States you were vaccinated. You could just have it again after delivery in the hospital to be safe.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As I understand it, they used to recommend you get this vaccine while pregnant if you were overdue for a booster. Then, a few years ago, they said you shouldn't. As of this year, it is once again considered OK to give pregnant women, as long as it is in the third trimester. At the same time, there is evidence that it can make the vaccine less effective for your LO when he or she eventually gets it.

I think it depends on the doctor/practice and how they feel about the respective studies and various research. I was already up to date, but if I wasn't, I would be waiting until after I deliver. I think that if they are going back and forth like that, I'd like to see more research and err on the side of caution until then.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor(s) both recommended it, but it wasn't a big push.  One of them told me that there is some evidence that if you get it while pregnant that the baby will get a few months of protection as well.   
  • Just to respond, since I am looking at the CDC rec's right now:

1.  When they say "a woman who has not been vaccinated", they mean "has not had a Tdap in the last 10 years".  That point was confusing to me at first also.

2.  The recommendations do state that that the maternal antibodies can interfere with the infant's immunizations (after 3 months old), but also states that the maternal antibodies help protect the infant in the immediate post-partum period, and that the benefit of immunization during pregnancy outweighs any risk of interference, since morbidity and mortality for infants from pertussis is by far the highest in the first 3 months of life. 

The way I see it (as well as the folks at the CDC) is that the problem with waiting until after delivery to get vax'd is that if you are already incubating pertussis or actively ill with pertussis at the time of delivery, you are risking transmitting it to your newborn during the period of the newborn's life when pertussis is most likely to cause serious disease or death.  Vaccines don't work immediately and there is a window of risk there for your infant that is eliminated by vaccinating during the 2nd or 3rd trimester. 

It may seem like splitting hairs, but that little window of time could be the difference between life and death. 

• I don't have any information for you, but I did want to say thanks for posting this.  Like all expecting Mom's I'm trying to cover all my basis but I hadn't thought of this yet.  Now I will talk to my OB and Hubby about it! 
    PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a mom who has had pertussis and gave it to her toddler, please get this vaccine or at least the booster. I had no idea I had whooping cough and by the time I was better (because my case was so mild, like many adults) my son had a terrible cough that wouldn't get better. Because he hadn't finished the entire round of DTaP yet his case was mild as well, thank God.

I had to call our school, our friends, and our families to inform them and tell them to get tested if they had a cold and cough come on. I felt terrible, and still feel terrible about it. I could have infected so many people and just thought I had a typical cold. We're all up to date this time around. It's not something I take lightly.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'll be getting mine after delivery but before I left the hospital.  My doc said I could have it now, but I chose to wait. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• My doctor told me that it was a recent change for the CDC to recommend the vaccine while pregnant.  I don't feel 100% getting it while pregnant (and we don't have any whooping cough outbreaks), so I will be getting it before I leave the hospital after delivery. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had DD1 in June of 2010. I got it before I was discharged. Should I/will I get it again in May when I have DD2?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemrs+harlow:

TDaP isn't a live vaccine, but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable getting it during pregnancy. Just my personal preference.

Your baby will get a 4 phase schedule of the DTaP starting usually starting at 2mo, then 4 mo , then 6 mo and the final dose at around 15- 18 mo.

I'm getting another TDaP after birth even though I have one been recently - just 2 years ago. Immunity from the vaccine wanes over time...between 4-12 years.

Our local school system requires 5 doses for kindergarten entry!

My OB said I should get the TDap in the hospital after I deliver.

First birth: Natural (med-free) Second birth: Hell, no. Epidural all the way. Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got mine in my third trimester because doc said getting it while pregnant was best and that it also helps protect the little one until he/she can get theirs. My husband just got his as well and my immediate family who will be around our son the most will get one as well.
  • Mine gave it to me in the 3rd tri.  I asked her about it and she said I should get it since it's making a resurgence. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • In the begining of my pregnancy my doc told me I'd get it after delivery in the hospital but halfway through she said they are now reccomending it during the late 2nd or 3rd trimester... I opted to wait until after delivery because i'm not comfortable with vaccines/ flu shots during pregnancy, but I'm definitley getting it right after she's born. My husband, sister and parents all got theirs last month so hopefully she will be pretty well protected.
  • I transfer to my OB at 36 weeks and will double check with him, but my nurses have said wait until after I deliver. DS is current and SO will be getting his in the next month.

I've heard of many women getting it at the tail end of their pregnancy and others getting it the same day they deliver. As it stands now, I'll ask for it after delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"