Trying to Get Pregnant

Pinterest Liability?

I just found this article about liability on Pinterest and found it very interesting.

I've been on Pinterest for more than a year now, and, admittedly, have never thought about being held liable for anything I pin. 

The article wasn't enough to make me delete my beloved Pinterest account, but it did get me thinking. 

Discuss. 

TTC since June 2010.
DX hypothyroidism, pituitary hyperfunction, and PCOS.
On med/treatment break indefinitely. Not currently trying.
Lots of love to all of my Golden Girls!
The Vagtastic Voyage
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Pinterest Liability?

• As an attorney, the language in TOU does worry me. Pinterest is definitly trying to avoid liability and place the users at risk. But like many areas of the Internet the law is really unsettled and for that reason I'll continue to use Pinterest. Theres no way to know how the courts would come down on this issue. Plus I'm not sure that the damages a person could get from this type of violation could ever outweigh the high price of lengthy litigation.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • imagekari5186:

I actually just received this email from pinterest literally 3 minutes before reading your post:

I'm Ben, the co-founder of Pinterest. I removed one (or more) of your pins today at the request of a copyright owner who preferred that their images do not appear on Pinterest. The photo is here for your own records:

This is a rare - we usually find that people are excited to have their photos shared with a larger audience because it can drive traffic back to their site. However, when we do get requests to remove these materials, we try to respect the wishes of the content owner efficiently. If you have any questions, please email our Community Manager, Enid (enid@pinterest.com).

I just wanted to give you a heads up. Thanks so much for using Pinterest. I hope you're enjoying the site! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Pinterest DMCA #ID 863049732

- Ben and the Pinterest Team

I guess I had never really thought much about copyright and Pinterest.  It makes sense when it is compared to copyright laws and Facebook--I know I wouldn't want anything personal I uploaded to become public property.  The big difference for me is that I get what Pinterest is all about and I DO NOT pin anything that is personal there for that reason.  My other question is this:  Why is there so much concern over this?  Pinterest was created specifically for the purpose of COPYING other people's crafts, ingenious ideas, and the like.  Its draw is that it is a free-for-all of beautiful DIY ideas and limitless information.  I know I'm guilty of copying recipes, DIY projects, and stupid/funny pictures.  Maybe Pinterest should instead encourage its users to, and provide a special text box for proper citation of photographs and such.  

That would be a reasonable accommodation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I wonder if the liability would be on the person who originally pinned or uploaded the copyrighted image or if it would be shared with anyone who re-pinned. I've been careful to pin only images that are okay to share, but I have no idea the original source of every item on pinterest.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Wow, I never really thought of this. I hope they don't do away with pinterest! It's the best thing since Facebook.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I thought about this, but I just assumed that, since you can click on the Pin, and therefore it takes you to the website of wherever the pin came from, that was enough to give the person "credit" for their work/photo/creation.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a professional photographer, I actually love Pinterest. I do not upload my own work to my boards because that is self-promotion, but I do not mind if someone pins one of the photos from my blog that I have made available on the internet. I love getting the recognition & the traffic to my website that comes from a pin. I think it is an easy word of mouth marketing tool.

Of course, I understand that while there are the copyright laws and restrictions that people are suppose to follow when it comes to photos on the internet, not everyone is ethical and some people will try to steal your work. I take measures such as, watermarks & posting low res files, to make sure that if someone were to try to steal my photos that they would not be able to get a very good print from the image I have uploaded to the web. I believe that this will happen with or without Pinterest and unfortunately it is just the nature of the profession I work in. There will always be people who do not understand the true value of a photograph. 

TTC #1 since 8/2011
    Dx: Endometriosis(2000) & Uterine Fibroids
    Sept 2012-March 2013: TTA for surgery & recovery; surgery removed: neuroendocrine tumor & 30% of pancreas, 
    endo on diaphragm & in abdomen, & uterine septum
    April 2013: 5mg Femera - IUI cancelled
    May 2013: Cycle cancelled; CD3 estradiol levels too high
    June 2013: Cycle cancelled; umbilical hernia found; surgery to repair
    July 2013: IUI #1.2 - 5mg Femera + trigger = BFN
    Aug 2013: IUI #2 - 5mg Femera + trigger = BFN
    Nov 2013: surgery to remove 8cm fibroid from uterus & clean up endo
    March 2014: IVF #1 - Gonal F & Menopur; retrieved 12 eggs; 6 fertilized; 0 made it to blast
    moving on to DE
    July 2014: FET #1 w/ DE; cancelled due to clots in uterus; hysteroscopy to remove fibroid.
    Hopefully beginning FET #1.2 in late August/early Sept.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"