Stay at Home Moms
Options

well, our fish is finally dying...

DD1 picked "him" out when DD2 was born. It was like her special thing...not that she really cares about Freddy much anyway ;)

I was told he'd live about a year. It's been over 2, so I guess it's about time.

Here we go explaining this one. I don't think DDs will care too much, but you never know.

And I feel so bad watching him trying to swim and float, knowing he's on his way out...it makes me sad :( I wish I could make it go faster for him, I just feel like he's suffering. 

CP 3/07
BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
BFP 11/14

Re: well, our fish is finally dying...

• Options
    My DD had a Beta fish that lasted for almost 5 years! I couldn't believe how long it lasted and there were many times that I thought it was dying and then a few days later it was acting fine. It might not die yet but I would mention to the girls that the fish is getting old. That is what I did with DD and by the time it finally did die she wasn't shocked. 
  • Options

you know, that is a good idea to tell DD1 the fish is getting old. Thanks!

I fed him again and now he seems to have perked up... we'll see. It actually is a Beta fish too. 5 years for you huh?!! Wow. They told me 1 year. This is going to sound horrible, but as much as I don't want him to die, I also don't want him to live another 3 years :/

CP 3/07
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 11/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for reminding me to feed ours, since DH is out of town.  We have a number of fish who have lived 5 years.  DH has a huge tank he got when DD was born.  We just lost some of the originals because the heater malfunctioned. 

Sorry he is having a hard time.  Have you tried changing the water?  I had this happen to a beta I had for a while and he would revive when I changed the water. 

• Options

yep, I actually just changed the water today. After that is when I found him lodged (he did it himself) under his little castle. When I moved the castle thinking he was stuck, he floated straight up and then kept trying to swim back down but couldn't. When he finally did, he was trying to lodge himself under rocks :(

But, he actually seems perfectly fine now! This has been going on for a few day though, on/off...so we'll see ...

CP 3/07
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    imagebim38106:

yep, I actually just changed the water today. After that is when I found him lodged (he did it himself) under his little castle. When I moved the castle thinking he was stuck, he floated straight up and then kept trying to swim back down but couldn't. When he finally did, he was trying to lodge himself under rocks :(

But, he actually seems perfectly fine now! This has been going on for a few day though, on/off...so we'll see ...

It sounds like a buoyancy issue. Sometimes fish lodge themselves under things when they can't regulate their buoyancy. Betas gulp air though, so I really don't know much about why he'd be doing that. Just so you know, he's probably not trying to do himself in. :/ 

If you just changed the water, did you de-chlorinate the new water? Betas are pretty hardy, but that will help. If you've got the stuff, just one drop should do it. If not, he's probably ok, but next time you change the water let the new water sit for a while and the chlorine will dissipate. 

It could be temperature too. If the new water was especially cold or different in temp from the old, that would put him on edge.

No matter what, I wouldn't sweat it. They sell betas when they're already old and showing all of their pretty colors. That's why they're not expected to live that long. Sorry. :( 

• Options
    imageMcAllie5:
    imagebim38106:

It sounds like a buoyancy issue. Sometimes fish lodge themselves under things when they can't regulate their buoyancy. Betas gulp air though, so I really don't know much about why he'd be doing that. Just so you know, he's probably not trying to do himself in. :/ 

If you just changed the water, did you de-chlorinate the new water? Betas are pretty hardy, but that will help. If you've got the stuff, just one drop should do it. If not, he's probably ok, but next time you change the water let the new water sit for a while and the chlorine will dissipate. 

It could be temperature too. If the new water was especially cold or different in temp from the old, that would put him on edge.

No matter what, I wouldn't sweat it. They sell betas when they're already old and showing all of their pretty colors. That's why they're not expected to live that long. Sorry. :( 

Thanks for all the info! I didn't even know about de-cholorinating the water. I do let the new water sit out for about 1/2 a day to make sure it gets to room temp though. Could the buoyancy thing happen if the water is not changed often enough? I kept forgetting to do it and its been longer then usual...

CP 3/07
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    imagebim38106:
    imageMcAllie5:
    imagebim38106:

Thanks for all the info! I didn't even know about de-cholorinating the water. I do let the new water sit out for about 1/2 a day to make sure it gets to room temp though. Could the buoyancy thing happen if the water is not changed often enough? I kept forgetting to do it and its been longer then usual...

Honestly, the buoyancy thing could be due to any number of factors, and it's of course possible that that's not even the real issue (although your description makes it sound like it could be). 

I should have worded my answer differently - I'm almost certain it's nothing you did or neglected to do that's causing the problem. Betas are SO hardy. It's best to do gradual temperature changes (and you leaving the water out is the right thing to do), but they can handle more than the average fish.

I'm actually probably way too casual about how I do a water change for my beta. I just add water straight from the tap to compensate for evaporated water, and then I add a drop of dechlorinator. Seriously, this is a HUGE no no in the fish world, but my point is that a beta can handle it. Not that you should do it, but you could (and I do). He's been doing just fine for 2 years. My saltwater tank, on the other hand, is on a completely different level of maintenance!

With most fish, the best thing you can do (after making sure the water is clean and they've had food) is leave them alone. Really. It's probably just old age, or he could just be in a funny mood. Any change to the environment is a potential stressor. So it makes sense that he'd be acting weird after a water change. 

My best advice is: relax, don't blame yourself for anything, and prepare to teach your DDs about what might happen to the fish. He actually could surprise you and live for another year!

And pick yourself up some dechlorinator in the mean time at any pet store. It's pretty cheap. Again, I'm sure it's not your fault! :) 

• Options
    Thanks McAllie :) I appreciate it!
    CP 3/07
    BFP 11/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"