Breastfeeding

First Time Mommy...Needs Help with BF/BP Questions

My son will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. At the hospital we had issues with him latching on that continued when he came home. I have purchased a breast pump and have been pumping. Up until 2 days ago, I was producing quite a bit of milk, now I am only producing 1 to 1 1/2 ounces per pumping every two hours. I have had to supplement his milk twice. I was wondering if there are ways of helping my body to produce more milk. Or is this a sign that my milk is drying up and I have failed at breastfeeding my baby? 

Any help would be great! Thanks!

imageimage

Re: First Time Mommy...Needs Help with BF/BP Questions

• Try taking fenegrek if you want to produce more milk.I take two pills three times a day for a total of six. I was taking only three a day but it wasnt enough to do anything. It does take time to get your supplyup so just keep at it. Good luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've had latching issues too :( DS is just over 2w old. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water- I try to drink ~4L a day. Also taking Fenegrek, two pills, three times a day, the LC said to have one beer a night as the hops in the beer helps and also try power pumping. I try to power pump once daily, 15min on, 10 off, 10 on, 10 off, 10 on. With all this I still only get ~50-75ml per pumping session so we are supplementing. I know how hard it is to worry about making enough for your LO. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Fenugreek, as much skin to skin time with baby as possible, make sure you stay hydrated - lots and lots of water!!  I've also heard that the hops in beer helps, as well as oatmeal?  (Not sure if the oatmeal is an old wives tale, but I ate it - I figured it couldn't hurt!)

Good luck!

• Pumping more frequently and taking fenugreek will help.  The best way to increase supply is going to be with baby nursing, though.  They stimulate milk production better than a pump.  When they are still hungry and there is not much milk left, they just keep nursing and nursing more frequently to increase your supply.  

Are you working with a LC to get him to the breast?  Have you tried using a nipple shield until you can get him to latch better?  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"