April 2012 Moms

Who is going to try perineal massage??

I am very interested in doing anything proactive to help with the labor and delivery of my first baby.  I have been doing my kegals very religiously throughout this pregnancy...and now that I am 6 weeks from my due date, I am thinking about starting to do regular perineal massage.  What do you ladies think of this?  Have you tried it?  Do you plan to do it?  If yes, are the instructions below similar to the ones you have found?  When do you plan to start?  How often will you do it?

I found this info below that says how to do it to prevent tearing and to give that area more of a stretch for when you do deliver.

What to do: After your bath, find a private place and sit back on a towel in a comfortable position. Apply the oil or lubricant to your hands and around the perineum. Put your thumbs (or have your partner put both index fingers) about one to one-and-one-half inches (three to four centimeters) into your vagina.

Next, press firmly but gently downward towards your rectum. A little tingling is okay, discomfort or burning is not. These tissues are sensitive, especially during pregnancy. Being too vigorous could lead to swelling or bruising. Hold this stretch until the area begins to feel a little numb (around two minutes).

Then, maintaining steady pressure, gently move the fingers or thumbs back and forth upward along the sides of the vagina. Continue for around three to four minutes, being careful to avoid the urethra (urinary opening).

Perineal massage can be repeated daily, and in about a week, you'll probably notice increased "stretchiness" in your perineal area.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Who is going to try perineal massage??

• I definitely plan to. My Dr. gave me a sheet with instructions on perineal massage so we'll see how it goes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #1-BFP 08-22-09 ~ M/C 08-31-09 at 5 weeks 6 days
    #2-BFP 08-6-11 ~ Due 04/18 ~ born via c-section April 22, 2012
    My Blog
  • I plan to. DH is actually the one that brought it up to me after he read a pregnancy book, so he's going to be the one doing it for me. My doula recommended getting perineum oil or almond oil (I found some on Amazon). 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd like to. However, DH will have to do this for me. I'm not sure I can successfully do it with how big my belly is. Now the question is: Would we be able to successfully do this without being clowns and laughing the entire time? We tend to be the ultimate jokesters.
  • I just IM'ed my DH about this, click on the bump and BOOM!  LOL!  I am going to talk to him tonight and see if he can help me... I honestly don't see how I could do it on my own...

imageimage

• After our birthing class DH and I discussed it and plan on doing it. If it can help, I am all for it.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • I'm afraid of it. It just sounds so uncomfortable and awkward. I know it's probably less uncomfortable and awkward than a massive tear, but I've heard mixed things about its effectiveness. I think I'll skip it, but I think the MWs at my practice massage it while you're pushing to help ease things out.
  • What? No fisting jokes? LOL. I tried it with DS but it hurt so I gave up.
  • imageJFH2010:
    I'm afraid of it. It just sounds so uncomfortable and awkward. I know it's probably less uncomfortable and awkward than a massive tear, but I've heard mixed things about its effectiveness. I think I'll skip it, but I think the MWs at my practice massage it while you're pushing to help ease things out.

This, except my doula will be the one massing and she has warm compresses on hand to apply. I may be birthing in the tub which is also said to help.

It's not that I find it so much as uncomfortable and awkward to do, as  I know realistically we won't be diligent about it. DH is so freaked out by my ass right now thanks to the hemmies I'm rocking.

• I plan to start this week.  An L&D nurse I know said it's one of the most useful things you can do to prepare for childbirth, and I'd like to limit tearing and other destruction to my lady parts however possible.  I got some Earth Mama Angel Baby stretch oil made specifically for this (and other baby-related stretching).  The directions you posted sound like the same ones I found online.  I figure even if I suck at it, if I do it most days of the week, the moisturizing alone is bound to have some amount of positive effect.
  • after hearing LO's head was measuring two weeks ahead, I'm willing to give it a shot...but am I really supposed to do this daily for 5 weeks?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"