1st Trimester

Update on brown spotting after BFP--possibly good!

I posted yesterday about having some brown spotting. My period isn't due until Friday, but I had positive pregnancy tests Monday morning, Tuesday morning and this morning. Yesterday afternoon, when I went to the bathroom I noticed a couple of dark red spots on my underwear, and when I wiped there was a brownish discharge. I noticed just a slight brownish discharge a couple of hours later. Last night, there was just the slightest pinkish tinge (barely visible) when I wiped, and the same thing this morning.

I called my midwife this morning and they told me to come in this afternoon. First I saw an intern and then the actual midwife. Both of them thought it was implantation bleeding. I was surprised because I've read that implantation bleeding happens BEFORE you get a positive pregnancy test. However, they said it can happen after a positive test, because it can take a while for the blood to actually come out. They said implantation is a process, not an instantaneous event, so blood can come out as the embryo burrows in deeper. Also, they said that at my age (35), the hormonal disruptions of early pregnancy could cause  bleeding as my body tries to adjust to the pregnancy.

They did a pelvic exam and everything seemed fine, and they had me do a blood test to check my hCG levels. I have to go back Friday afternoon and have the levels checked again, to see if they've doubled as they should during a healthy pregnancy.

They were both very encouraging and reassuring, and acted like this is totally normal, even though I've never had any bleeding in any of my previous 4 pregnancies.

I'm definitely feeling a lot better now--not totally convinced that everything is okay, but cautiously optimistic. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! I just thought I could give some hope to anyone else who might be having this happen!

~ Liz, mommy to:
DD, 1/7/05 * DS #1, 1/25/07 * DS #2, 11/11/09
Baby #4, EDD 11/11/12
m/c 7/30/08 at 12 weeks (blighted ovum, emergency D&C)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Update on brown spotting after BFP--possibly good!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"