June 2011 Moms

Checking out daycare tomorrow- questions?

So I know this has been asked before a long time ago but we are just now looking into daycare so I am asking again. :)

I am going to go check out the few daycares in town that have openings right now tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or good questions I should ask.  Also just anything helpful at all would be appreciated!

Thanks ladies! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Checking out daycare tomorrow- questions?

• See if your state has daycare violations listed.... review any for the locations you are visiting and be prepared to ask about any that draw up a red flag for you
    • Do they provide food/formula/milk/diapers/etc. or is that your responsibility?
    • Ask about policies for someone other than yourself picking up your child
    • Sick Child policies
    • Vacation policies
    • Staff turnover
    • Child room turnover - when will your child move up to the next room - by age, developmentally, etc?

• imageprncsstp:
    • See if your state has daycare violations listed.... review any for the locations you are visiting and be prepared to ask about any that draw up a red flag for you

Thanks!  I would have never even known that existed.  I feel so uneducated about daycare stuff...

• Loading the player...
  • It was important for me to know the ages of the kids in the same room...ours did 6 weeks to 6 months, then 6 months to 12 months. I liked that there weren't 6 week olds in with the kids who can crawl and walk and stuff.

Also, maybe ask if they'll do BLW for you, and cloth diapers. I know mine will, but not all will.

Hope that helps! (Does this mean you have a job?!)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagewalter7878:

Hope that helps! (Does this mean you have a job?!)

Thanks... no not yet.  I got my license though finally... I had to take yet another test for it which I didn't get to take until last week.  

I'm hopeful though that soon I will have a job... I have a couple leads. 

• I used to work at a daycare. Don't forget to ask about their background checks on employees, how often they disinfect and do laundry (should be every day for infant room), daily schedule, if employees are up to date on CPR/first aid/SID training... etc. Basically, ask probing questions about safety and employees. You can also google their school's scores/latest review (or at least you can in GA).

Also, ask for a tour of the school. You should pay attention to the smells, general cleanliness (of course), ask to see the kitchen (if the kitchen is dirty, there is a lot more lurking than you'd think!), ask about how they would contact you if LO got hurt/sick, etc. I also would ask about the ways that they involve parents in the school (such as Muffins with Mom, Doughnuts with Dad, Spring Fling, Halloween parade, etc). Also, don't forget to ask about teacher conferences, how long the teacher has been in that room, and the best way to talk to the school if you have a concern.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Security-type questions were always big for us (this is what happens when you're married to a cop).  Who's allowed in, how access is gained (some places you just ring a doorbell and you get buzzed in, others have keypad entry and each parent is assigned a unique code), cameras in the building/individual rooms, etc.  

Too, I believe you can look up on your state's website inspection reports.  

Some day cares have actual curriculums which they will share with you. 

Do they do daily reports.

Vacation time allotment.  And sick policies.

Speaking of sick policies, what qualifies as keeping the child home, when will they call a parent to pick up when the child is sick.

If you do CDs, you definitely want to ask about that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"