1st Trimester

Insomnia in pregnancy-kind of long

Since Sunday I haven't been able to fall asleep at night. I called my OB to see what I could take and they suggested Tylenol PM. I have been struggling with the decision to do this, but do need the sleep. I'm going in to see them on Friday to see what we can do about this. 

Anyone else experiencing this or experienced it in the past? I have tried everything to relax, including yoga and massage. I'm also trying to get an appointment with an acupuncturist to see if that would help me.  

Some background information. I struggled with insomnia after my son was born and found out that I was bipolar 2. So when trying to get pregnant this time I went off my meds except for Lamictal. I am just worried that the symptoms of bipolar are back and that I will have to get back on other meds during the first trimester.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Insomnia in pregnancy-kind of long

• I have a lil bit of insight towards this..I suffer from anxiety/depression and I was on Cipralex which worked amazing for me, I tried 4 different meds to find out it worked for me...finally! The day I found out I was pregnant I read my medications pamphlet and read the awful effects it could have on the baby so I called my dr and he advised to wean myself off immediately but those things scared me and I stopped taking it cold turkey...I am slowly starting to experience the insomnia I had before I got on cipralex :( I get really tired when the kids go down for bed and I lay down but as soon as I lay down my mind starts goin and I can't calm down enough to sleep. I'm often up til 3 or 4 am and by then I've taken a Gravol to zonk out because I'm in so much pain from laying there trying to sleep its unbearable.

I hope you can find some way to get some rest soon, the body is an amazing thing but it tends to give out eventually :( Good luck hun

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Tylenol PM is just Tylenol with Benadryl (acetaminophen with diphenhydramine).  You'd be better off just taking the Benadryl alone, and give your liver a break from acetaminophen that you don't need.

Insomnia is awful--I'm a lifetime sufferer, and mine was definitely bad when I was pregnant.  I hope you find some relief! 

• Loading the player...
  • I have had trouble sleeping with my first two pregnancies and I know how you feel, it sucks.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  With my first pregnancy I took Benadryl to help me sleep and then in the 3rd trimester my doctor prescribed Ambien because it had really gotten bad.  Same thing with my second pregnancy,  I really didn't want to take the meds but I had to - I needed sleep.  So far this pregnancy I've been nothing but exhausted but it's still early - plus I'm chasing two kids around all day so I am just wiped by 8pm.  Please take care of yourself and definitely discuss things with your doctor at your next visit. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • imageUrbanLe1:

Tylenol PM is just Tylenol with Benadryl (acetaminophen with diphenhydramine).  You'd be better off just taking the Benadryl alone, and give your liver a break from acetaminophen that you don't need.

Insomnia is awful--I'm a lifetime sufferer, and mine was definitely bad when I was pregnant.  I hope you find some relief! 

I should have said I am just taking the Benadryl. Thanks for everyone's comments it's helpful to know that I'm not alone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Insomnia sucks - I get it when I wake up in the middle of the night and it's been the worst when I've been pregnant. Have you tried reading? That's been the only thing that's worked for me. Most of the time I fall asleep after a while but even if I don't it keeps my mind from racing while lying there. Sorry, I don't have better advice, but here's another vote of solidarity. Hope you feel better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"