Success after IF
Options

another kind of spin-off: What are your splurges? not?

The question about hair cuts got me thinking:

What things do you splurge on, spending more than is probably necessary but worth it to you?

What things do you not splurge on, spending less money than many people do?

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
Our early Christmas present 12/9/10

Re: another kind of spin-off: What are your splurges? not?

• Options

Splurge:

Photo equipment - lifelong passion, even my elementary school allowance went mostly to film!

Children's clothes - mostly on sale, but I buy a lot :)

Food (and wine) - I would faint if I tallied our grocery bills, I'm sure

Don't splurge:

Handbags (other than camera bags)

Shoes - My shoes are $$$ but I own so few and buy so rarely since they last!  I like to remind DH of how much I save in the shoe department. ;-)

Hair cuts - I would spend more if it made a difference though!

ETA:  Before kids I traveled a ton -- I'm looking forward to them getting a travel bug too!  But before kids I also cut coupons, and now I don't, and I buy so much online now too which adds up.... :)

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Options

Splurges:  Hair (get it done every 6 weeks at a high-end salon), skin care (arbonne, mostly), make-up (Bobbi.Brown).  And I'd much rather buy a few nice pieces of clothes versus several cheap things from Forever 21 or H&M.  

Things I don't splurge on that other people might:  getting my nails done.  I only go on special occasions and even then, I feel guilty!  I also drink cheap wine.  I'd never buy an expensive (read - greater than $20!) bottle.   

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll add that I don't think I splurge on kids clothes, although others might thing I do.  I buy almost everything from baby.Gap.  I'd never purchase anything more expensive than that.  But I do buy almost everything they make : /
    DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Splurge: Air conditioning.  It runs almost non-stop year round.  I try to keep our electric bill to under $500 in the summer.

Splurge: Food.  I don't think much about what we buy at the grocery store.  I ofter pick up prime steaks for DH.  Even at Costco, they are $60 for 4 steaks.  I am also a Dasani addict.

Splurge: Having the a housekeeper every 2 weeks and a lawn guy every week.

Non-splurge: I don't spend a lot on baby clothes.  I am sure it would be different if I had a girl.

Non-splurge: Movies - we just stay home and watch them On Demand for $6 instead of going to the theater and spending $20+ easily.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We Splurge on vacations.  In the past 12 months I think we have had at least 6 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of time with out of town family that I don't count as vacation.

Things we save $ on.  We barely ever eat out.  I never get my nails or have a spa day.  I get my hair done only 2 times a year.  I never buy clothing unless it is on sale or cheap.  For DD I buy most of her clothing at JBF sales or clearance rack at Gymboree and Old Navy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Splurges: travel and eating out (often but not high dollar places)

We do way more than we should and never really plan to cut back unless we absolutely must

Save: gifts for each other and beauty services and products 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

The normal girly stuff.. My hair is non negotiable topic w me and dh.. I color it every 6ish weeks.. And get a cut an blow every few months just had it done!

I get a Mani every other week and a peid/ it's always flip flop season here.. Every 4/6 weeks..

And bags! I just got a new Tory Burch bag that I am using as a diaper bag but I love it!!  

• Options
    Splurge-hair cut/color, and clothing/shoes (big Nordstrom shopper), grocery delivery ( not $$ but added delivery charge), going to add house cleaning 2x/mth soon :). Save- we dont eat out, and i only buy clothes or toys on sale or consignment for Henry.

Diagnosed PCOS & MFI-Success with IUI

• Options
    Wow absolutely nothing! I get my hair cut 4 times a year. Pedicures only in the summer. Manicures if I'm going to a wedding. I have a ton of nice bags from back in the day. Too fat for nice clothes. Damn I guess I look a mess :-(
    TTC since 8/07 DX - Severe MFI/azoospermia & MTHFR/ TESEs found sperm - 7/08 & 6/09/ 12/08 - IVF#1 - BFN/ 6/09 - IVF #2 - cancelled due to OHSS risk (had retrieval)/ 7/09 - FET #1 - BFN/ 9/09 - FET #2 - BFN/ 11/09 - IVF #3 with new RE cancelled twice - 10/09 & 11/09/ 1/10 - IVF #3 take 3 - BFN/ 4/10 - IVF #4 - first ever BFP on 5/13/10!!! 108 @ 10dp3dt/ 2nd beta 311!/ sono on 5/28/10 said TWINS!!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Splurges:

Beauty Maintance- Haircut and color every 6 weeks at a high end salon, waxing once a month, facials and mani's and pedis once a month, I'm getting hair extensions in April- that is a major splurge, but I'm so excited to have long hair.

makeup- MAC only

Eating out- we eat out at least twice a week in a sit down restaurant, and we get take out at least twice a week- I hate to cook. I don't really see this as a splurge, but I'm sure others do.

Clothes: I spend WAY to much on clothes for myself, DH, and the girls. I have tried to shop at Marshalls and other places like that- I just can't do it- I like the organization of the main stream stores like Gap, Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, or Saks.

Travel- we take 2-3 big vacations a year- usually tropical locations and stay in 5 star resorts or our timeshare. We also take 1-2 small trips a year- to visit family or to go to Disneyland (which is 4 hour drive) for the weekend.

Cars: Both DH and I have new luxury vehicles- we are both really into having a nice car with all the bells and whistles. We trade our cars in every 3-4 years becasue there is usually something new out by that point.

Things I don't splurge on:

wine and alcohol- Neither DH or I drink that much- I don't know a good wine from a bad wine. If I have to bring something to a party I will usually just bring a bottle of Grey Goose, becasue I know that's a decent vodka- but other than that all alcohol tastes bad to me! HAHA!

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

splurge: food -- i live across the street from whole foods and it's DANGEROUS. and i have expensive foodie taste :)

splurge: i buy too much quantity of clothes...they aren't super pricey (H&M, forever 21, old navy, gap) but i buy too many sometimes

save: pretty much never get a mani/pedi. i'll get two pedis spaced out in the summer and maintain the rest of the year myself (although i'm about to splurge on this since i officially can't reach my toes now)

save: no expensive handbags or shoes

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Splurges:  Hair - I pay 32.00 for an 8oz bottle of shampoo and a little more for the conditioner.  I also get cuts and highlights regularly at an exclusive salon.  Makeup and Skin care - I prefer and can really tell a difference in high end makeup and good facial products.  Shoes - I'd rather have a good expensive pair of pumps then go through several cheaper ones.  Handbags - this is probably an old splurge since the last time I got a Louis Vuitton was when my DS was born, but I am addicted to them and own several and at least 1 that is more than our mortgage payment which I purchased before children.

Non-splurge - for everyday drinking wine, I'm prefectly fine with a 9.99 bottle of Cupcake wine!

• Options

Splurges: Foundation and scrapbooking supplies. I get pedicures about once a month or so in the summer. Matt's clothes (I don't buy really over the top pricey stuff..I buy a lot of his stuff on sale, but I buy him a TON of clothes)

Non splurges: My hair and fingernails (nails are always painted and filed, but I do them myself)

TTC for 19 months. Dx: PCOS. 3 IUI's with Clomid= BFN 1st IUI with injectables= BFP imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLVBlvd:
    I'll add that I don't think I splurge on kids clothes, although others might thing I do.  I buy almost everything from baby.Gap.  I'd never purchase anything more expensive than that.  But I do buy almost everything they make : /

This made me laugh for 2 reasons...

1. Every time I go into gap kids, I picture Paige modeling all the cute outfits. The peach embellished jeans & creamy cami have her name written all over them! :)

2. It is a total splurge to me these days. I am stalking the colored skinny jeans for Eliza. I love them, but refuse to pay $30+ for on one pair of pants. Hoping they go on sale or I get a nice coupon :)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"