June 2012 Moms
Options

Will Baby Sleep In Your Room?

I have heard so much conflicting information lately. I've been researching SIDS and it seems like having the baby sleep in your room is the safest option according to most research. However, I have had some women very adamantly tell me that I should never have the baby in my room because it forms bad habits. I'm probably going to allow my LO to sleep in my room. I'd rather "form bad habits" than risk SIDS if that information is indeed correct. I'm just curious though. Will your LO be sleeping in your room?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Will Baby Sleep In Your Room?

• Options
    Yes, at least until 6 mo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Yes.  We have a 2-BR right now and will be moving when baby is 3 months old, so for now it's unavoidable.  But, even after we move, most likely the baby will still be in with us.  We just like having our son (and likely, our son-to-be) in our room - doesn't bother us at all and I don't think it forms any bad habit other than my son liking to snuggle at night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes. In a cradle next to my bed. We moved DS to his own room at 4 months, but we probably won't go that long before moving DD. We all slept much better and in longer stretches once we couldn't hear each other constantly.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes. I don't have a set time yet when we'll move him, but I'm thinking it will be when he starts to sleep for 5-6 hour stretches at a time. I'd like for him to be in his crib when he starts rolling over. I'm a FTM so this could be completely crazy talk.
    Baby Boy - Born June 8, 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Nope, DS1 and DS2 slept in their crib in their rooms from day 1 home. I don't sleep well and dh snores. We tried it the first night with DS1 and halfway through the night I put him in his crib. It was just to much. Our pedi totally supports having baby sleep in their crib from day 1 as well.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, we've had all our LOs sleep with us in the beginning and will with this LO too. But I think you should be prepared to be flexible about it. With DS, he was in his crib in our room and I wasn't nursing him, and sleeping in the same room as each other didn't work out so well. I think we did it for about 6 weeks, before moving him to his own room. We both slept MUCH better in separate rooms. With DD, I was nursing and she was in a cradle in our room, and it worked better for us. We moved her to her room when she outgrew the bassinet (a few months old). Neither LO formed bad habits or had a difficult transition as a result. This LO will again be in the cradle in our room, and I'm planning to nurse, and hopefully it'll work out well again.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Avery will be in my room and in my bed with me for at least 6 months.

DS#1- 7/2002

DS#2- 6/2004

DS#3- 9/2007

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yes, as for how long...we will just play it by ear.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageDaisy22:
    Nope, DS1 and DS2 slept in their crib in their rooms from day 1 home. I don't sleep well and dh snores. We tried it the first night with DS1 and halfway through the night I put him in his crib. It was just to much. Our pedi totally supports having baby sleep in their crib from day 1 as well.

I'm worried about DH's snoring keeping the baby up as well! I have insomnia and DH snores like a train... I guess we can always try and see how it goes! If it really does become a problem we could always try putting her in her own room. I'll have to ask my pediatrician about what their opinion on it is.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not 100% sure. I've heard that it works well to have them in the room with you at the very start for all those middle of the night feedings, so we might for the first bit. It all depends on if there is room for them in our room or not, and how those first few weeks go. I would like to get LO in their crib as soon as possible though.
    pregnancy pregnancy
  • Options

DD slept in our room in a pack and play by our bed for the 1st 4 months and then we transitioned her to her crib in her room....she was a great sleeper and slept 7pm-6am from 6 months on

DS was not a good sleeper no matter where he slept

IMO some babies are better sleepers than others and you cant teach a baby bad habits when they are that little

• Options
    Yes.  DS stayed in our room for almost six months and we moved him when he was ready.  I may do it a little sooner this time as I realized it helped him sleep better to be in his own room around that time.  After several months I was comfortable with him being further away, but mainly I was just too lazy.  I was BF and he was still getting up at night... just so much easier to reach over and grab him out of the PNP right next to me.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    our first baby slept in our room until 6 weeks.. this one however will have to sleep in our room for who knows how long, as we don't have any other room for her to sleep in :D
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For a little while, yes. Just until we get her in a routine. After that, she will be in her crib. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No. The fewer transitions, the better. DD2 will be in her crib in her room from day 1, just as DD1 was.
  • Options
    This is the debate we're having.  Original plan was to use the pack n play in our room and have baby sleep there for at least the first month.  However, now I want to put the pack n play downstairs so we have the changing station and bassinet option there for him to sleep in, and just have him sleep in his crib upstairs in his room.  MH doesn't like this.  So, I'm thinking maybe we should get a rock n play to use in our room.  Decisions, decisions!
    Visit The Nest!
  • Options

I've been doing a lot of research on the topic and it appears as if babies do better sleeping at first if they are near their mothers before "sleep training" begins.

Honestly, I mean I plan on her sleeping in our room until she is 2 or 4 months old. I'd like to transition her before I go back to work and she has to start doing daycare. I want to make the transition on her as easy as possible, but once I start work I don't think it's in my or the baby's best interest to sleep in the same room due to routines etc... I also want our bedroom to be our bedroom if that makes sense.

I also think really you can plan  all you want but LO is really going to lead on this one... each baby is different and I may have one plan and she may have another so I will just have to be patient and do what works best for her and for all of us at the time. I can't plan it out, she may not follow all my plans! =)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have two cribs already set up in our room for the twins.  DS & DD both also slept in cribs in our room as well.  Each child is different.  DS would never actually sleep in bed with me.  He always preferred to be by himself in his crib.  He easily moved into his own room later and still prefers to sleep alone.  DD, on other hand, slept in bed with us and still (she's now 9) will kick DH out of bed sometimes to lounge and sleep with me.  She always preferred to be in our bed, but as you can imagine as she grew this became an issue.  So at 9 and with her twin sister's on the way, she's just beginning to feel better in her own bed than in ours almost every night:(  FINALLY....  And I started out as a FTM being so anti kids sleeping with their parents:)

I'll still keep the twins with us though not only because of our house only having 3 bedrooms (we now have to add on), but because I prefer them to be near me when we sleep.  I think it's a personal decision though and depends on what you're comfortable with.  This is one of those "flexible" issues because all kiddos are different and their preferences as well as ours can change so fast as we all grow and adapt to one another....

• Options
    our "plan" is to have him sleep in his room from day one (it is right down the hall).  but again, it is our "plan" at this point.  Who knows once he arrives.

Cooper and Ellie

image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I plan to have him sleep in a bassinet next to our bed.  I'd like to have him there for the first six months and then transition him over to his crib in the nursery.  I've also read the same thing about having the baby in your room reducing the chance of SIDS. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    DD slept in the co-sleeper until 4 months.  We moved her to the crib when she started waking up every time I rolled over or blew my nose.  The transition was really easy.  We'll do the same thing for new LO.  It's so much easier to have them right there in the beginning.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes, but probably only for 2-3 months.  When we brought DD home, I woke up a lot at first looking over to make sure she was breathing.  I plan to put the cradle on my side of the bed to watch over her and to make all of the middle of the night feedings easier since she will be right there.  Since I have to go back to work after 6 weeks, I don't want her in there long term as long as she is healthy.
  • Options

There are definitely proven benefits to having your LO right next to you at night. Something about mom and baby sleeping near each other helps to regulate their breathing, lessening the risk of SIDS. If you are nursing, just having the baby in constant contact with you helps to build your milk supply.

Logistically, it's easier to just reach over, sleepily change a diaper if needed, nurse and go back to sleep. If I have to get up and walk around, I'm awake for an hour - but some people are better at just falling back to sleep than I am.

I guess I just feel like the transition from womb to outside world is a big one, so I like to have mine within arm's reach in their own bed for awhile.

Once the baby is in their own room, you will probably sleep better, but that also can coincide with a bigger baby being able to sleep for longer stretches.

I'm also not much of a "routine" mom, I guess - I always fed on demand, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There is sleeping in your room and then there's sleeping in your bed...big difference IMO.

Anyway, because of where we were living when DS was born, he was in a PNP in our room until he started crawling out at a year old. At that point we had gotten him his own bedroom suit (queen) and he now had his own room because we had moved. So off to his room he went. That said, we think allowing him to sleep in our room for that long was a mistake. He refuses to go to sleep without on of in the room/bed with him ...even for a nap. he will stay there and sleep once he does fall asleep and we leave, but it's a real pain.

With DD we plan on on;y having her in our room for maybe 3 months,depending on feedings, and then she'll go into her crib in her room for naps working up to nights.Hopefully we won't have the issues we have with DS.

• Options
    Yep and ds still sleeps there haha. It works for us
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic IAmPregnant TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The plan is to start right away in the crib. The nursery is so close to our room that I feel comfortable with this option. Then there no trasition later. If something does not work out, we will have him in our room in a PNP.

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    We're planning on her sleeping in our room in her own cradle for the first month at the most.  I realize things may change and we will adapt the way we need to but ideally I'd love for her to get used to and sleep well in her crib early on.
    So happy for my BFPB Steff13914 and her new twins! Welcome to the world sweet babies:) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For the first 2 months I plan on having baby in my room with me overnight, but baby will be in their own crib and room for all naps starting day 1. I'm hoping that might make the transition go a little smoother. If hubs was going to be here to help at night I would have baby in their own room from day 1.
  • Options

Having the baby sleep in your room won't prevent SIDS.  You have to sleep at some point and can't just lie there watching him/her breathe, although you'll want to at first.  And the women who've said it would form bad habits...are they by any chance of an older generationt, say grandparent?  That is just rediculous and so untrue.  You should do some more research on it yourself before listening to the unsolicited advice and taking it seriously.  Having LO in your room will NOT form bad habits and they won't want to sleep there forever.

We had DD in our room until she was 12 weeks and she sleeps fine in her own room in her own bed now. I know moms who have co-slept and/or bed shared for much longer than we did and their kids don't still sleep with them.

~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    Our baby will be in our room.  If you really want to help prevent SIDS, go with an organic crib mattress or a mattress cover (a specific one, I think they are sold at stopsidsnow.com).  From the research I've done, this seems to be the most effective thing to do.  I know that it can still happen, but it can reduce the risks greatly!
  • Options
    In our room and in our bed. For as long as she wants (within reason).
    Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options
    As of now, I'm planning on it. I'm actually thinking of getting a co-sleeper to have in the bed so the baby can sleep right next to me. My mom told me having me sleep in the bed with her when I was a newborn was a godsend when it came to late night feedings, but I don't feel comfortable just having the baby in the bed without any barriers to keep her from falling off or being squished. However, if this really interferes with SO's sleep (he'll be working and going to school full-time when the baby is born) then I might have to look into some other option...
  • Options

We will cosleep until he is a month or so old.  We don't bed share because one of my husbands first calls for the fire dept was a "roll over".  There were no substances involved in that death, so dh is very adamant about this issue.  Plus our bed is a pillow top.  I would take dd @4 months old and sleep with her during the 4 month regression...  

Sleep is such a touchy/tricky topic PP, I respect everyone's choices to do what works best for them.

As far as bad habits go: eh, I find it just as annoying that we have trained DD to need her own quiet room to sleep.  I kind of wish we had a more flexible kiddo that slept wherever we do! KWIM? 

• Options
    Oh, as for SIDS we used the angel care monitor, and it worked great! DH has also gone on a few SIDS calls too, so I left these decisions up to him.  
  • Options

My plan is to bed share for the first few months, but we will see how it goes once she is here.  We bed shared with DS until he was 8 months and had no problems transitioning him to his crib.  

I feel like this is a decision a lot of parents change their mind on once baby arrives. I have some mommy friends who planned to have their baby in its own room and ended up with baby in their room or even in their bed. I also have a couple friends who planned to bed share and had everything all set up and their baby wanted their own space. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have a studio apartment so we have no choice.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No way!  Babies are so noisy and she will be in her crib in her own room right next to ours (less than 10 steps from my bedside).  Our DD slept in her crib from day one and it is what works for us.
  • Options

Baby will be in our room, but I don't know for how long yet.  We are borrowing my Grandma's bassinet (that everybody in the family uses).  There will be absolutely no bedsharing ever because I'm a violent sleeper.

We have a little 2 bedroom, and my little sister is currently occupying the other room.  We might be moving a few months after the baby gets here, so I'm not in a hurry to kick lil sis out and make a nursery that we might not even get to use.  Honestly, our room is big enough to accomodate a baby for awhile, and I like having my sister around.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"