Babies on the Brain

Pre-conception visit?

I've read on The Bump that you should plan to go for a pre-conception visit before you start trying to get pregnant. My annual exam isn't until September, but my husband and I are thinking of starting to try getting pregnant in May or June.  I'm wondering if the pre-conception visit is something most people actually do, or if I'll just sound a bit crazy calling to schedule an appointment for no real reason; I don't really have tons of questions about getting pregnant and I don't have any health issues or complicating factors that need to be addressed. Is such an appointment pretty standard and necessary or will it just make me seem a bit neurotic? Would love any feedback!  Thanks!

Re: Pre-conception visit?

• I don't think it is really necessary.  At my regular appointment I knew we'd be starting to try within the following year, so I mentioned it to my OB.  She gave me a pamphlet and told me it could take a normal couple up to a year.  I don't see any reason for a 'special' apointment unless you already know you are facing complications (physical, mental, etc...).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I wasn't having my annual appointment, I wouldn't have scheduled a pre conception one. He/She will just tell you to take a prenantal, take care of yourself and call if you aren't pregnant after a year of trying.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • All I did was mention at my yearly that we were thinking about it.  My doctor told me to stop taking/using birth control when we were ready, start taking a prenatal at that point, and that if I wasn't pregnant by my next yearly we'd talk. 

Unless there are known/specific issues, I wouldn't waste my time.

• Thanks for posting this question, OP!  I was wondering the same thing!  I just had my annual exam about a month ago and mentioned to the OB that we may be trying in the next year. She just told me to go off the pill when we're ready and also to take a prenatal.  So, I figure that's good enough since we don't have any questions or issues so far. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Tickerimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"