Breastfeeding

Breast to bottle help please?!

I breastfeed and I returned to work this passed Monday.  We have been trying to introduce a bottle to DD for about 3 weeks now.  She will suck on it for a second and then pull off.  She rarely takes more than an ounce at a time.  We are using the Playtex nursers with drop in liners.  Since monday DD barely eats during the day hours while she is with her caregiver.  Monday she only ate 4 oz from 8am-4pm and yesterday she only ate 8oz.  I just got a call that she will not take the bottle at all today.  I think it's time to switch bottles but I don't even know where to start?!  There are so many different bottles on the market and it's just so overwhelming.  Can someone please tell me what works for them?  What bottle is best for breastfed babies?

PRINCESS31stbirthday
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Breast to bottle help please?!

• Unfortunately, no one bottle is best for all breastfed babies. It's a game (an expensive game) of trial and error. You might want to try a wide mouth bottle next. Breastflow bottles work well for some moms.

My baby was happy enough with Nuk bottles and pacis. 

• I use Philips AVENT bottles, and I've also heard very good things about Dr. Brown's. Just try a whole bunch of different bottles/nipples/techniques and hopefully it will work out for you! Good luck!

This website helps with that: https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

(As a side note, 8oz isn't bad at all. 4 oz every 3 hours sounds normal to me, if you nurse right before you drop her off and right when you get her.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you're dealing with such stress. I can only say what worked for us. DS took the Tommee Tippee bottle (slow flow) right away with no problems. I kind of think he loves milk so much he'd drink it out of anything, but this worked for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nuk orhodontic nipple was the only one that eventually worked,for my DS. GL, I know, how stressful this is. Hugs
    BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went through trial and error with bottles.  Started with Playtex Ventaire and I didn't think DS was taking them very well.  So we tried Dr. Browns (couldn't latch on well), Nuk (flow was too fast), Evenflo (flow was too fast), and Avent (he just screamed at it).  We ended up back with the Playtex Ventaires.  He was getting better with them and now, after being in daycare for 7 weeks, he is a champ with them. 

It's an expensive game to play and there isn't one magical bottle that works.  I would just start trying them.  Buy the individual bottles (rather than multipacks) before stocking up on whatever works.  I also read that you should test the bottle out for a couple days so LO can get the hang of it before trying something else.

Good luck!!

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just trial and error. I was lucky and Chris wasn't picky and took the born free bottles I used with DD. GL! It's stressful.
  • I have the same situation.  I went back to work Monday and he drank 6 oz and then yesterday he drank 8.  I have no idea what it will be today but he only drinks maybe an oz at a time and that is after offering him the bottle several times  We use the playtex nursers.  I tried the tommee tippee but he had the same problems so I just went back to the playtex because they take up less room in the cupboard and are easier to wash.  He won't take a paci either and I've tried three different kinds.  He has a very sensitive gag reflex.  I'm just hoping after a week or two he will get the hang of it and realize that is how he will have to get milk while I'm away.  If I could afford to be a SAH I would have already give my two weeks!
  • We're having the same problem. DS took Tommee Tippee bottles occasionally for a few weeks with some fussing now he screams & refuses. We tried Born Free & he doesn't like those either.

We just got Breastflow bottles yesterday, we're keeping our fingers crossed that they work. We tried last night & he took 1/2 an ounce over an hour of casually trying. The good news he didn't scream & he didn't gag. (Breastflow bottles have a dual nipple so the baby has more control over the milk flow compared to the other types we've tried.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will say the first few days DS was in daycare he only ate maybe 8 oz. He now eats like 12-14 oz fairly consistently.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"