Stay at Home Moms
Options

NSAHMR: Do you have an alarm/security system?

We live in a great area with typically very little crime.  However, there has been a rash of home break-ins recently, which has me freaked out.  One of the break-ins occurred in my in-laws neighborhood at 9am.  The woman who lived there had just put her kids on the bus for school.  This has prompted me to look into security systems.  We have a new construction home that was pre-wired for security by the builder, so I think installation should be pretty easy.

Do you have a security system?  Are you pleased with the company?

DD #1 - 01.08
DD #2 - 03.13

Re: NSAHMR: Do you have an alarm/security system?

• Options

Yes. It's called a pitbull mix. LOL.

Seriously a former coworker of mine lived in a bad neighborhood. She said that the only house on her block that didnt get broken into was hers because of her dog. Might be something to consider.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKC_13:

Seriously a former coworker of mine lived in a bad neighborhood. She said that the only house on her block that didnt get broken into was hers because of her dog. Might be something to consider.

Well, we do have a fierce sounding Yorkie!Big Smile

DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemeglew:
    imageKC_13:

Well, we do have a fierce sounding Yorkie!Big Smile

LOL we have one of those too. The yorkie is the noise while the pit is the muscle. hahaha

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we had an alarm with monitoring... APX alarms (now it's merged to Vivient i think).  $50/month and we use it on :stay: when DH leaves and we're home alone... and at night.  Well worth the peace of mind.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options

ADT here.  I too have a bigger dog (boxer) but, I feel that I am protected even better with the alarm system.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love the secure feeling of a security system- we have broadview- which I believe is partnered w/ Brinks.  It's a bit more expensive per month than some of the others, but the installation was a little cheaper.
  • Options
    yes. I think it's through ADT and it's well worth the peace of mind. Plus, the monthly cost is offset by how much we save on our homeowners insurance for having it. In fact, I think having it ends up costing us less overall.
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    Yes, and I live in a gated community with guards. My husband is gone a lot and I need it for piece of mind. I also have a yappy dog:)
  • Options
    I found out about a brilliant plan that has worked well for us - go onto eBay and buy a set of ADT Security signs and stickers. Apparently that alone does a lot to keep people out. Besides, weve known people with both security systems and big dogs that still got robbed (thieves grabbed valuables and left before the cops got there, and kicked/beat up the dog) so it didn't make sense to us to spend the money on it for questionable performance. The signs we bought on eBay look totally legit!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • Options
    Yes, we do.  When I bought this house (8.5 years ago), it was just my sister, Jordan (my daughter) and I.  Jordan was 10 and her bedroom was on the first floor, so I wanted the peace of mind of having the alarm since she was sleeping on a different floor from me.
  • Options
    No! We do not have a dog either.  I wish we had an alarm or security; we really need to look into it. 
    April 2009
  • Options
    Nope. Never even considered it. We live in a rural area. Most people around here don't even bother locking their doors.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    imageKC_13:

this exactly

My dogs will bark if the neighborhood kids get too close to our driveway on their bikes. They are the only alarm I need. My dads bff is a sargeant on the state police and said that even the best systems still give an experienced burglar a good chance to get in, and a certain amount of time before "help" arrives. Houses with dogs are statistically far less likely to get broken into. We have motion floodlights on all sides of the house, good door and window locks... and dogs!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"