Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Febrile Seizures

Hi ladies. I was wondering if any of your LO's have had febrile seizures? My husband had them as well as his mother and I'm concerned my daughter is going to have them. Are there any signs that she might have them? It's such a scary thing to think about and If I can, I want to be prepared. Any tips/advice/thoughts are very much appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Febrile Seizures

• I have no advice for you but I really hope you don't have to go through that with your LO. 

My Nephew has been diagnosed with Doose Syndrome (a severe form of epilepsy).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My Nephew has/had them. I say had because he has not had one since October due to the medicine working so well. Your right it is very scary!! There are no signs that cause them except he always had one when he had a fever. HTH!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My sister had them and only got them if she got over heated ( like outside in the summer) or if she got a high fever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • They happen when your body temp goes up drastically in a short amount of time. DS1 had one last year and, even though I knew what it was, it was VERY scary.  He had been sick with a fever for a few days. I was watching him on the couch b/c I could tell he wasn't feeling well. For some reason, febrile seizures had been talked about a lot on TB that week, so the idea of them was in my mind.  All of a sudden his little head bent forward and his body started convulsing. Thank God my husband was home, too (he travels a lot for work). I called him and he tended to my DS while I called 911. They had us remove his clothing and lay him down, so he could cool off. The ambulance came and they had us give him Ibuprofen AND Tylenol. When the medics were there, DS's temp was just under 106. We did not take him to the ER b/c we knew his situation was not serious. Our pedi said that if the seizure lasted for more than 15 minutes than it would be worrisome. His lasted about 2 minutes and it was AWFUL. I could not even imagine 15.

FWIW, no one in our family (us, brothers, parents, aunts, etc), have ever had one. I am not sure if they run in families, but they were new to us. Also, they do not have to have a high fever to have one. They just have to have their temp spike quickly. It could go from 98 to 101 and they could have one.  When my LO have fevers and I use Tylenol or Ibuprofen, I always monitor them. I worry that when the meds wear off, the fever will spike and they will have a seizure.    Oh, and once they have one, they are more likely to have them again.  Just remember that, while scary, they are just the body protecting itself. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"