Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Small head??

So DS had his 4 month well appt. He's super huge 90th weight and 70th height, but his head circ is only 20th%tile?? It has gone down from 27th%tile at 2 months old. The pedi didnt seem to be OVERLY worried but said its something to keep an eye on. (he's not microcephalic.)DS is developmentally appropriate so im not too worried. Pedi just had a tone in his voice that kind of freaked me out. And started asking about family history, diseases, etc. Anyone else have a small head baby or go through anything like this? Spoke with MIL and she said no issues on their end....

Im sure its probably nothing to worry about, but im definitely one of those paranoid mamas... :/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Small head??

• I'm in a similar situation but not all that worried about it as his developmental growth is right on target.  At my DS's 2 week and 2 month appointment, he was 98% or greater for height and weight and his head was somewhere in the high 80th percentile.  At his 4 month appointment his height and weight held but his head circumference fell to the 68%.  At 2 weeks his head measured 38cm.  At 4 months it measured 43cm.  Our 6 month appointment isn't until the end of march but I measured his head at 5 months and it was still 43cm. 

If he wasn't developmentally on track I would be worried.  I also read somewhere (and can't find it now) that a baby's head grows 5cm in the first year...their height 10", and their weight triples. 

Take it in stride...and don't worry.  We all grow at different rates. 

• My ds was above the 95th percentile in height and weight, but his head is in the 20th percentile. My pedi wasn't at all concerned. As long as your lo is on track otherwise with milestones I wouldn't worry about it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I have a small head baby, but his head's always been small.  And the rest of him is on the small side too.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"