Austin Babies

Hill Country OBGYN: What to expect at first pre-natal appointment?

I'm switching OBs since we just moved from NW to SW Austin. What happens at the first pre-natal appointment?

Re: Hill Country OBGYN: What to expect at first pre-natal appointment?

• Hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in because I can't even remember anymore. Just wanted to say that I hope you love the office and doctors as much as I do!
  • Are you PG?!?! or Are you going for an annual? Or just essentially to meet the Dr.? I went for an annual exam for the first time where Dr. L did the usual exam things, pap, etc. (BTW - easiest/most comfortable pap of my life fwiw...). Told her I was getting off the pill and she recommended starting Pre-Natal pills. That's it. 

If you're PG (CONGRATS!!) then your appt. is generally at 8 weeks and you'll meet the Dr. and Nurse and they'll give you an internal U/S. 

If you're just going for a general appt., I have no clue - I guess you'll just meet the Dr. and Nurse... 

• Loading the player...
  • imagemrs.wildman:

Are you PG?!?!

Big Smile

imagemrs.wildman:

If you're PG (CONGRATS!!) then your appt. is generally at 8 weeks and you'll meet the Dr. and Nurse and they'll give you an internal U/S. 

Ugh, that's what I thought I remembered y'all saying. I don't know why but I have major apprehension about the vag cam. RWG did a regular ultrasound around the same time so I was hoping the same would happen at HC.

• First of all CONGRATS!! Second I was really worried about the vag cam, but it was a lot easier than I expected. I was so excited to see the baby that it bothered me way less than I thought.
  • Don't know the answer to your question, but huge congrats!!!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congratulations (and welcome to SW Austin :-))! 

I had my first appointment at 9 w 2 d with Dr. L. (switched from my RE where I had a vaginal u/s done at 6 weeks) and they did a regular u/s at that appointment. They also weighed me, took blood (I think 3 vials), took my blood pressure and went over the medical history of both sides of the family. 

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Congratulations!!!! And welcome to the southside Smile
  • YAY! HUGE Congrats!!

imageRicola:

I had my first appointment at 9 w 2 d with Dr. L. (switched from my RE where I had a vaginal u/s done at 6 weeks) and they did a regular u/s at that appointment. They also weighed me, took blood (I think 3 vials), took my blood pressure and went over the medical history of both sides of the family. 

I didn't have my blood work till the 2nd appt. if I remember correctly. I was a bit freaked by the vag cam, but they we're really good and gentle. Wasn't a big deal at all. That said, the one drawback about their office is that after this U/S, they don't do them in-house, so it's not like going to Dr. See.ker where you get one at every appt. After this, you'll have your next at 20 weeks at the perinatologist. 

• Aw, YAY! Congrats!!
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • WOOOHOOOO!!!! Congratulations!

The others already gave you the info - I can't remember the blood.  With my most recent pregnancy I had it drawn first due to previous m/c - I can't remember with V... but yeah, maybe not first appt.  Vag cam is no big deal - not uncomfortable at all - I don't think.  This is coming from someone who has a different person stick one up me every two week for the last 32! :-)

Photo by Melissa Glynn
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • No advice on the doctor since I lived on the north side, but huge congrats!!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrs.wildman:

ve my blood work till the 2nd appt. if I remember correctly. I was a bit freaked by the vag cam, but they we're really good and gentle. Wasn't a big deal at all. That said, the one drawback about their office is that after this U/S, they don't do them in-house, so it's not like going to Dr. See.ker where you get one at every appt. After this, you'll have your next at 20 weeks at the perinatologist. 

I had the NT scan done at Hill Country OBGYN, too, and that included an u/s. But yes, after that only one more (a/s) and that was at a different office. :-) 

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Another voice chiming in with a "don't worry, the dildo cam isn't all that bad".  Smile  Everyone else pretty much covered it.  Oh and you'll get a big bag of info and (if memory serves) infant formula.  Or maybe I got that somewhere else (registry).  Anyway congrats!  H&H 9 mos!!

p.s.-- If for some reason you have to see anyone other than your doc while you're an OB patient, I can say I really liked seeing Dr W alker.  She's the new doc at the practice and was great the 2 times I saw her. 

• Woo, congrats!

I'm currently seeing Dr. L (thank you EVERYONE who recommended her, she and her nurse are awesome!) and yeah, fist visit was dildo-cam. Don't even stress, though, it was not even close to a big deal. The bowl of condoms next to it is hilarious, though. 

No blood draw until 12w appt, I got that out of the way a couple of weeks ago. Don't pee before you go, they'll want you to go in a cup prior to the appointment. Doofus over here didn't think about that, so I had to chug some water and do a couple of laps around my car when I found out. That right there is how you make a good first impression. *facepalm*

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"