Ideas on how to sooth baby to latch — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Ideas on how to sooth baby to latch

Our baby does not latch easily and gets herself very upset [cries, etc].  Once she is on there is no issue [no milk supply issue, etc].  Any one else w/ this issue?  What are you doing to resolve this issue.  It is very tough on our baby and us - we are not sure what to do.

Re: Ideas on how to sooth baby to latch

• I don't know how old your LO is...but in the beginning it's hard. You're worried about so many things that by the time you realize he's hungry, it's too late!

I think the best thing to do would be to offer before you think your LO is ready to eat.  If you're nursing every 3 hours, try offering after two. Or be specially alert to hunger signs: sucking, rooting, mouth opening.

I know it feels like all you're doing is nursing so you want to eek out any minute you can in between...but it gets better! If you can make it work smoothly now, you'll only appreciate it that much more later!

Good luck!

• The nurses in the hospital taught us 'the swoop' .. when the baby cried, we would do a very fast 'swoop' to swoop the baby's mouth onto my nipple.  It seemed a bit fast, but it worked like a charm.

Think fast ... and swoop her quick!  

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • Loading the player...
  • I love me some "swooping!"

• I agree with the swoop!  Never thought of it that way.  I squeezed my areola and when DS was crying would shove it right in.  It seemed forceful but it worked every time.

Also, in the beginning he had a very strong rooting reflex.  So anytime we touched his chin, cheek, etc. he would whip his head around that way.  We didn't see that that's what was happening until the LC told us.  After that, we stayed away from his face when trying to push him onto the boob.  I used his neck/upper back instead and that helped a lot.

GL!

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards