Babies: 3 - 6 Months

kicking feet at night...all night

About two weeks ago, my LO started kicking his feet throughout the night.  He picks up both feet and slams them down onto the crib mattress.  It is so loud that it wakes me up several times.  It also seems to stir him as well and he is waking up many more times than he used to.  Our pedi had no good info, so I'm turning to you mommies.  Any of your LOs do this?  Do you know why?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: kicking feet at night...all night

• It is normal! They sure are noisy sleepers aren't they? Is he swaddled?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LO does this sometimes.  I recently swapped her HALO sleep sack for  Grobag which is longer and a bit heavier and she hasn't been shuffling about as much so I wonder if she just needed some more room?

• Loading the player...
  • imagebluegreen88:
    It is normal! They sure are noisy sleepers aren't they? Is he swaddled?

He is swaddled, but it is getting a bit too small for him.  I used a sleep sack for his nap today and plan on using it for the first time tonight.  Maybe he's kicking because the swaddle is restricting him?  Who knows!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS used to do this ALL the time. I think it was a combo of the swaddle plus bad gas. We use sleep sacks now, and he isn't quite as gassy at night, and it's reduced significantly. Maybe try some gas drops before bed and at nighttime feedings.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I can't help you but my DS does the same thing. I feel like I didn't sleep at all last night because he was doing the foot slams all night (he's still in the room with us). In fact this may be what causes us to boot him out of our room - we were planning on moving him in 2 weeks at 6 months anyhow - may do it earlier.
  • My LO kicks a lot too. She's in a sleep sack though, so it's not loud and doesn't wake her up unless she's close to getting up anyways.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLara0802:
    My LO kicks a lot too. She's in a sleep sack though, so it's not loud and doesn't wake her up unless she's close to getting up anyways.

This is my DD too - kicking a lot, and in a long sleeve sleep sack.  But it really never wakes her up.  She goes through cycles all night, and sometimes she'll do the feet-slamming thing over and over and over for 10-15 minutes before she goes back into a deep sleep.  She also rolls around in her sleep a lot, but doesn't usually wake up.  Sometimes by morning, her head is at the other end of the crib!  I think it's a normal baby thing - they're developing all these new muscles, and they stretch them out and wiggle around in their sleep while they're getting used to it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO does the same thing. She is in the other room so it doesn't wake us up, but if I am already up I hear her. She also likes to run her hands up and down the crib bars. This I do hear, and it does wake me up. Most mornings I find her asleep holding onto one of the bars. We just transitioned to the crib a week and a half ago.
  • Mine does this too!  He does it when he's not quite asleep.  I'm not sure why. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We call it Kicky Feet and he does it when he's awake and bored. Most of the time he puts himself back to sleep after a little while.

The good news is that Kicky Feet was the precursor to him discovering his feet and now playing with them constantly. It's adorable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"