TTC After a Loss

OPK Please help me understand

So I've never used OPK's before this cycle and I have never charted.  My cycles are VERY short - like 20 to 22 days generally.  Before my two miscarriages my cycles were pretty regular 24 to 25 days and I could pretty much tell every month when I ovulated, based on CM.  Now the cycles are shorter and my cm never changes. 

Anyway, this month I used OPK's from day 5 on.  There was never a darker line then the control line but it was darker on some days than other days.  What does that mean?  Do you take them everyday at the same time and really without anything to drink for a few hours? 

I'm starting to think I'm not ovulating now.  I know I should go to the dr, but it's only been 5 months since my second miscarriage.  Not sure where to turn next.  Looking for guidance on how accurate the OPKs are and proper use.

Married DH 5.19.01
Twin Boys 3.16.02
Beautiful Girl 2.21.04
Starting again 5.2011
M/C #1 6.10.11
M/C #2 10.17.11
BFP 3.12.12 !!!!!! DUE 11.22.12 April 10th - fateful ultrasound found pg was CSection Scar Pg. No heartbeat on April 23rd led to D and C, which led to life saving emergency hysterectomy May 7th 2012.

Re: OPK Please help me understand

• Hi there,

I'm in a similar boat as you. My cycle used to be close to 28 days, and since my m/c, it's averaging 22 days.  I'm giving it one more month, then calling the OB to see about a possible luteal phase defect.  I also thought i wasn't ovulating - i haven't seen fertile CM since my m/c.  I started using OPK's and found out that my best result comes when I use them twice a day - 6 AM and 6 PM.  Also, if you think you're not ovulating, i'd recommend temping in conjunction with OPK's.  Check out fertility friend online if you haven't already.  Most of the time i can catch a darker OPK, then see a temp shift a couple days later which is the sign of ovulation.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck!

• How many times do you test each day? I test twice a day till it gets close then throw in a third if I need to. Also...some people have a hard time testing with FMU, so maybe try not using it right when you wake up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #1 since 3/11

BFP #1 5/4/11 EDD 1/12/12 natural m/c 5/17/11

BFP #2 8/9/11 EDD 4/18/12 ectopic pregnancy (methotrexate) 8/24/11 ruptured tube and removal 8/29/11

BFP #3 3/9/12 EDD 11/19/12 Logan born 11/18/12

BFP #4 10/21/14 EDD 6/30/15

~*~*Everyone Welcome*~*~
  • Loading the player...
  • imageella.mabel:

Hi there,

I'm in a similar boat as you. My cycle used to be close to 28 days, and since my m/c, it's averaging 22 days.  I'm giving it one more month, then calling the OB to see about a possible luteal phase defect.  I also thought i wasn't ovulating - i haven't seen fertile CM since my m/c.  I started using OPK's and found out that my best result comes when I use them twice a day - 6 AM and 6 PM.  Also, if you think you're not ovulating, i'd recommend temping in conjunction with OPK's.  Check out fertility friend online if you haven't already.  Most of the time i can catch a darker OPK, then see a temp shift a couple days later which is the sign of ovulation.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck!

This is good advice.  I would recommend using the OPK's twice a day.  You may have just missed your surge.  Also, I suggest charting your temps on FF.  This is the only way to know if you are ovulating for sure.  GL!

• See this is all so new - I had no idea you should/could test more than once a day.  Soooo frustrated - this has been so easy in the past (I was much younger then).  I've been testing after lunch each day, but trying not to drink anything for at least an hour beforehand.

UGHHHHH So frustrated!!!!

I think it's a little late this month, so maybe I'll stock up for tests for next month.  I've never used charting, so maybe fertility friend is a good idea.  Thank you!  Please keep the help coming.  I'm starting to give up.

Married DH 5.19.01
    Twin Boys 3.16.02
    Beautiful Girl 2.21.04
    Starting again 5.2011
    M/C #1 6.10.11
    M/C #2 10.17.11
    BFP 3.12.12 !!!!!! DUE 11.22.12 April 10th - fateful ultrasound found pg was CSection Scar Pg. No heartbeat on April 23rd led to D and C, which led to life saving emergency hysterectomy May 7th 2012.
  • I am very similar to you. Before I had DS my cycles were 24 day like clockwork. When I got pregnant with him, we did nothing other than aim for days 8-12. After DS my cycles ranged from 19-27 days. Then I had two losses. After my second loss my cycles have been more like 23-25 days again. I use digital OPKs as my only form of charting per my OB. Two cycles ago I did not get a positive so this past cycle I switched to two times a day. Always at about the same time each day and always holding my pee for at least three hours. Some people say not to use first morning urine, but I have only gotten positives first thing in the morning. If I were you, I would try one more cycle using the OPKs twice a day and if you don't get a positive or are still worried about your cycle length I would call your OB. Good luck!
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageFavJob=Mommy:

See this is all so new - I had no idea you should/could test more than once a day.  Soooo frustrated - this has been so easy in the past (I was much younger then).  I've been testing after lunch each day, but trying not to drink anything for at least an hour beforehand.

I think it's a little late this month, so maybe I'll stock up for tests for next month.  I've never used charting, so maybe fertility friend is a good idea.  Thank you!  Please keep the help coming.  I'm starting to give up.

You can get really cheap ones on amazon, it helps the pocketbook a little.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #1 since 3/11

BFP #1 5/4/11 EDD 1/12/12 natural m/c 5/17/11

BFP #2 8/9/11 EDD 4/18/12 ectopic pregnancy (methotrexate) 8/24/11 ruptured tube and removal 8/29/11

BFP #3 3/9/12 EDD 11/19/12 Logan born 11/18/12

BFP #4 10/21/14 EDD 6/30/15

~*~*Everyone Welcome*~*~
  • My self, I found out I wasn't ovulating by having some b/w done. It took me over a year and a half to get pg and I had used an Opk for about 3 months after a friend suggested it. 2 out of the 3 months I got a + but on + on a hpt. Dr tested me and said even though it said I was, I was actually not ovulating. So My recommendation would be if you want, chart, see if that help, but call your Dr and ask them to check. That's gonna be the best way to know, and it should put your mind at ease either way. Cuz if they find out your not, you can get on some med (I was on clomid) to help. It's so frustrating having no control over wha your body does. Hang in there sweetie {{hugs}}
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageFavJob=Mommy:

See this is all so new - I had no idea you should/could test more than once a day.  Soooo frustrated - this has been so easy in the past (I was much younger then).  I've been testing after lunch each day, but trying not to drink anything for at least an hour beforehand.

TBH, I test with FMU until the line starts getting darker, then I test every time I go to the bathroom. LH surges usually happen in the afternoon, which is why most tests will tell you to test around 2-4pm. But yes, you can test any time of the day and as many times. So I third (or is it fourt) the wondfos from amazon. They are so cheap that you don't feel like wasting them. Then, if you get a line that you are second guessing if it's dark enough, you can use a digital to confirm.

I might use FF to track your cycle days and OPK results.. then once you become more comfortable doing that, if you're not pregnant after a cycle or two, start temping. Don't overload all at once. Just doing OPKs is a perfect start!

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
    The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
    Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
    BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

• Thank you girls!  I was feeling a little sorry for myself this morning.  You certainly helped me understand a bit better.  Anyone know how long the Amazon order take to ship?  If AF comes this month I will order those, but if I started using them on cd5 ish will they be here in time?

Thanks again!

Married DH 5.19.01
    Twin Boys 3.16.02
    Beautiful Girl 2.21.04
    Starting again 5.2011
    M/C #1 6.10.11
    M/C #2 10.17.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"