November 2012 Moms
Options

Taking Time Off

As I stated before I run an in home daycare, I do get paid for vacation and holidays but my husband and I were discussing this last night, with having this baby either the end of October or beginning of November, I plan on closing the daycare for Nov and Dec (with DS#1 I only took 2 weeks off).  So I was wondering if at a "normal" job would you get paid for those holidays...Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years?  All this time off I will be taking is unpaid :( , I know it stinks but its part of the job.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Also what are your plans for time off? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Taking Time Off

• Options

I run my own business as well & unfortunately, that means that any time that is taken off must be saved up for instead of being paid time off!  One of the downfalls of owning a business.  I am very anxious about running a business / having a baby at the same time.  My plan is just to save up a bit, in anticipation of having no work Oct-Dec.  My busy season is May-October ( I'm a photographer).

• Options
    I work for a large company that shuts down a week in December which all employees are paid for. But I will be on unpaid leave by then as my STD is only 6 weeks and I'm due early Nov. I'm actually considering going back to work the day before the break (I'd be on FMLA at that point for 6 weeks after STD) so I can get paid over the break and then go back on FMLA in Jan. Since FMLA does not have to be taken all at once. I'm not sure how much of a hassle that will be but I don't want to miss out on a week of pay! I will miss out on the 2 paid days around Thanksgiving.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am also a small business owner (wedding and event planner), luckily Nov-Jan is my slow time and when I do mostly office work from home. I try to spread my income out through out the year anyway, so this is no different. Plus DH is the main breadwinner in our family.
  • Options
    imageWesting18:

As I stated before I run an in home daycare, I do get paid for vacation and holidays but my husband and I were discussing this last night, with having this baby either the end of October or beginning of November, I plan on closing the daycare for Nov and Dec (with DS#1 I only took 2 weeks off).  So I was wondering if at a "normal" job would you get paid for those holidays...Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years?  All this time off I will be taking is unpaid :( , I know it stinks but its part of the job.

Do you have the ability to hire someone to help you for the 2-3 months? That way you would be able to keep the kids, and not make their parents make alternate arrangements. I would worry that the parents wouldn't come back after you re-open since they had already made arrangements. 

I am in Canada so we get time off paid by our Employment Insurance, but only 55% of our gross income. We are able to take off up to 52 weeks though, so I will be home awhile. 

• Options

I work for a local government, as does my husband. We receive ample time off, including all federal holidays. Unfortunately, they don't offer any paid maternity leave, only FMLA and taking Paid Time Off (PTO) to generate income while out of the office. Thankfully, I signed up for Short Term Disability (STD) in January (yeah, barely on time!), which will be effective October 1!

The downside, of course, to working for a government is that the benefits are great, but I have a Master's Degree and make under $40,000, after 5 years in the position... Choices, right? 

"Oh for sh!ts sake."- my 84 year old grandma. Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I work for a hospital, so while the benefits are amazing (it cost me $25 to have DS), there are no such things as holidays. Luckily, my first 6 weeks will be paid through extended medial leave pay that I have accrued, so I will just have to use my short term disability for the last 2-6 weeks. I only took 8 weeks with DS and I wished I could have taken more. I hope to take 10-12 weeks this time around. Looks like I will have some paid holidays this year!
  • Options
    I plan on taking off the full 12 weeks my company offers, I get 80% of my pay for the 12 weeks. I do get holiday pay as well but being a nurse I have rotating holidays I have to work, but still get paid if its my holiday off.
    Married 5/31/10
    DS 10/31/12
    BFP 11/18/14
    EDD 7/31/15

July15 Siggy Challenge: Favorite holiday movie. Bad Santa!
  • Options
    imageAmandaBoud2011:
    imageWesting18:

Do you have the ability to hire someone to help you for the 2-3 months? That way you would be able to keep the kids, and not make their parents make alternate arrangements. I would worry that the parents wouldn't come back after you re-open since they had already made arrangements. 

I am in Canada so we get time off paid by our Employment Insurance, but only 55% of our gross income. We are able to take off up to 52 weeks though, so I will be home awhile. 

I did some interviewing last time around when I had my son and nothing ever worked out.  I wish I really knew someone really well to come into my house and run the daycare since I want to be able to trust the person working here so I can leave during the day.  I actually don't have any worries about the parents not coming back, all my parents are very loyal and I have been doing this for 8 years now so a lot of my families now have been with me for 4+ years now.  I have friends of mine that do daycare that they would help out with temporary care for my daycare families. 

• Options
    I work in a medical practice.  I'm going to take a min of 3 months off but hopefully I wont go back at all and will stay home and take in another child to care for.  I was a nanny for years and loved it but unfortunately needed benefits so I went back to eye care about 3 years ago.  I also had to stop being a doula at that time because I couldnt be on call.  I am hoping to get back to both after the baby. 

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"