Toddlers: 24 Months+

Futon in toddler's room (not for their bed)

We are in the process of deciding what to do about creating a new room for DD once the baby comes.  Right now our spare room is an office.  DH is completely against having the two kids share a room.  In our office we have a really nice expensive Futon.  This is not your typical Futon it feels more like sitting on a sofa.  DH really does not want to get rid of it because he feels we will use it in the next house and it was not an inexpensive piece of furniture.  It won't fit anywhere else in the house and DH feels DD should have the larger of the two spare bedrooms.  His suggestion is to get her inexpensive toddler furniture because the bed is smaller, which should last until we look to move in two years and leave the futon in what would be her room.  My concern is she will climb on it, jump off and hurt herself.  Anyone have experience with something like this or maybe a spare bed in your toddler's room and if so, was it a hazard.  TIA. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Futon in toddler's room (not for their bed)

• DD actually sleeps on a futon.  It's similar to yours.....very nice, all wood, good mattress, etc.  It's always been in her room and I used to nurse her on it, we cuddle and read books on it every night.  It was very easy to transition her to it out of her crib.  I like it because it is low to the ground(the same height as her crib).  As far as it being a danger, she knows she is not allowed to stand up on it.  And she knows she is only allowed to jump on the floor of her room.  Both of these took consistant reminding for a couple of weeks, but she's been good about it since.
  • imagehoneybee111:
    DD actually sleeps on a futon.  It's similar to yours.....very nice, all wood, good mattress, etc.  It's always been in her room and I used to nurse her on it, we cuddle and read books on it every night.  It was very easy to transition her to it out of her crib.  I like it because it is low to the ground(the same height as her crib).  As far as it being a danger, she knows she is not allowed to stand up on it.  And she knows she is only allowed to jump on the floor of her room.  Both of these took consistant reminding for a couple of weeks, but she's been good about it since.

Interesting thanks for the feedback.  Ours is also wood and the mattress we purchased for comfort because we wanted to use it for guests, so essentially we purchased it the same way someone would purchase a spare bed.  I said to DH tonight I wonder if we should see if she will sleep on it but he thought it might be too big. It is good to hear someone else has done this.  I was thinking I could but a toddler rail on it the same way I would a bed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesnicksnack:

imagehoneybee111:
    DD actually sleeps on a futon.  It's similar to yours.....very nice, all wood, good mattress, etc.  It's always been in her room and I used to nurse her on it, we cuddle and read books on it every night.  It was very easy to transition her to it out of her crib.  I like it because it is low to the ground(the same height as her crib).  As far as it being a danger, she knows she is not allowed to stand up on it.  And she knows she is only allowed to jump on the floor of her room.  Both of these took consistant reminding for a couple of weeks, but she's been good about it since.

Interesting thanks for the feedback.  Ours is also wood and the mattress we purchased for comfort because we wanted to use it for guests, so essentially we purchased it the same way someone would purchase a spare bed.  I said to DH tonight I wonder if we should see if she will sleep on it but he thought it might be too big. It is good to hear someone else has done this.  I was thinking I could but a toddler rail on it the same way I would a bed. 

We have it against a wall, so because of the 2 arm rests, she can only get out of one side of it.  We put a king sized pillow along that side(long enough to block her in, low enough for her to climb over if she wants to get out) and she hasn't rolled off yet.  She has fallen off before, and that's when I'm happy it's so low to the ground.  I know some of my friends are horrified that we don't have a "real" bed for DD, but she is so comfortable with it, it was a pretty easy transition.  We'll buy her a real bed eventually, but it works for now. :)

• I think that these things are really good to read and to hear. I really just hope that everything would eventually work out well in order to make things work out. I also think that reading these things would definitely help us all out in the long run. Thanks for this one.

toddler bed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"